Favourite Photos in August

cbimages

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Yule Point near Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Autralia.

Milky Way and Planet Mars taken a week ago while camping at Mareeba, Far North Queensland

night-sky-showing-the-milky-way-and-plan

That's a remarkable image. We've lost a lot living in big cities where we can barely see the stars.

I liked this one not because it's such a great shot but because it was captured with an inexpensive (I paid about $100 US) fisheye adapter that Sony made for it's 16mm E-mount "pancake" lens a few years ago. The results are surprisingly good with my new Sony a6000. No need to break the bank...

the-kiosk-court-in-lansdowne-centre-shop

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's a remarkable image. We've lost a lot living in big cities where we can barely see the stars.

Very kind of you to say so John. I hadn't planned the shot. Sitting there by my campfire by a river, I gradually saw the sky lighting up. Incredibly, the Milky Way and Mars appeared right bang in the middle of the treetops. I thought Timelapse! Out came the tripod, intervalometer. Thing is I hadn't done one for a while, I knew the settings but couldn't remember quickly how to set the intervalometer. So I used it manually counting in my head 15 sec. exposure then 3 sec. interval 175 times!! Plus aloud every 10 frames and counting on my fingers. For a 10 sec. timelapse. I hope the pic sells....

Gen  

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I liked this one not because it's such a great shot but because it was captured with an inexpensive (I paid about $100 US) fisheye adapter that Sony made for it's 16mm E-mount "pancake" lens a few years ago. The results are surprisingly good with my new Sony a6000. No need to break the bank...

the-kiosk-court-in-lansdowne-centre-shop

Striking shot John!

Rupert the Bear, dabbing at the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta:

PDYTRA.jpg

This year's event was its fortieth anniversary and the iconic Rupert was at that first show. He's now showing his age and can't fly, and this was his first public appearance for many years.

Close your eyes everybody.

This is what I found in my garden. The remains of a frog.

I had to contact the frog experts at James Cook University to figure out what it was. Predation they said. A bird ate it then dropped it. It fell on my bush.

I had feared a deformed frog due to a virus, but nothing sinister they said. It did send the local Facebook page into meltdown though...

PGPBK6.jpg

On 8/24/2018 at 10:55, spacecadet said:

My old car going to the big car park in the sky.

PG57RA.jpg

At least it was a nice day.

I did the same thing with my old Corolla a number of years ago. The recycling guy gave me $100 CAN for it. Could have been worse...

P.S. Didn't you have to give the license plates back, or at least remove them?

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been playing with my fisheye conversion lens again. Here's one that I like for some reason.

P.S. I probably could have removed the moiré patterns on the base of the dome, but I quite liked them.

woman-walking-past-the-bloedel-conservat

I love the geometry. It has a high visual impact. Well done!

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

I love the geometry. It has a high visual impact. Well done!

Thanks again. BTW, there's a tropical ecosystem under that dome with hundreds of "exotic" plants and birds. Here's one of its longtime residents. I hadn't seen him for over ten years. He's in his 50's now. I have a feeling that he didn't recognize me. I've aged much more than he has.

close-up-of-a-mature-blue-and-gold-macaw

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks again. BTW, there's a tropical ecosystem under that dome with hundreds of "exotic" plants and birds. Here's one of its longtime residents. I hadn't seen him for over ten years. He's in his 50's now. I have a feeling that he didn't recognize me. I've aged much more than he has.

close-up-of-a-mature-blue-and-gold-macaw

Aww a Macaw. We also have such a dome here in Cairns.  Here's one of its residents. There is a zip line above him...

Archived