Jump to content
cbimages

Favourite Photos in August

Recommended Posts

Ruins of the Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Quarai, Quarai Ruins, Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument, New Mexico, USA

 

nuestra-senora-de-la-purisima-concepcion-de-quarai-also-cuarac-quarai-ruins-salinas-pueblo-missions-national-monument-church-in-new-mexico-usa-PF7PAE.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

nuestra-senora-de-la-purisima-concepcion-de-quarai-also-cuarac-quarai-ruins-salinas-pueblo-missions-national-monument-church-in-new-mexico-PF8K21.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More street performers. The Edinburgh Festivals are almost over. It’s been a mad month.

 

edinburgh-fringe-festival-street-perform

 

edinburgh-fringe-edinburgh-scotland-uk-2

 

And a completely different event - the Royal Company of Archers displaying a clout shoot in Haddington. It was a very soggy day unfortunately 

 

haddington-uk-19-august-2018-the-royal-c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yule Point near Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Autralia.

Taken last Sunday.

 

scenic-view-of-yule-point-near-port-doug

 

Taking off from Brisbane in the evening

 

flying-over-the-coastline-and-mudflats-n

 

Milky Way and Planet Mars taken a week ago while camping at Mareeba, Far North Queensland

night-sky-showing-the-milky-way-and-plan

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Yule Point near Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Autralia.

 

Milky Way and Planet Mars taken a week ago while camping at Mareeba, Far North Queensland

night-sky-showing-the-milky-way-and-plan

 

That's a remarkable image. We've lost a lot living in big cities where we can barely see the stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked this one not because it's such a great shot but because it was captured with an inexpensive (I paid about $100 US) fisheye adapter that Sony made for it's 16mm E-mount "pancake" lens a few years ago. The results are surprisingly good with my new Sony a6000. No need to break the bank...

 

the-kiosk-court-in-lansdowne-centre-shop

 

 

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bali holds a special meaning for me, for the peace it can bring and the friends made there over the years. We always send the last couple of days in Sanur.

 

balinese-pagodas-on-karang-beach-at-sanur-bali-indonesia-taken-late-afternoon-at-low-tide-with-seaweed-and-sand-PFR2AN.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

That's a remarkable image. We've lost a lot living in big cities where we can barely see the stars.

 

Very kind of you to say so John. I hadn't planned the shot. Sitting there by my campfire by a river, I gradually saw the sky lighting up. Incredibly, the Milky Way and Mars appeared right bang in the middle of the treetops. I thought Timelapse! Out came the tripod, intervalometer. Thing is I hadn't done one for a while, I knew the settings but couldn't remember quickly how to set the intervalometer. So I used it manually counting in my head 15 sec. exposure then 3 sec. interval 175 times!! Plus aloud every 10 frames and counting on my fingers. For a 10 sec. timelapse. I hope the pic sells....

 

Gen  

Edited by gvallee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I liked this one not because it's such a great shot but because it was captured with an inexpensive (I paid about $100 US) fisheye adapter that Sony made for it's 16mm E-mount "pancake" lens a few years ago. The results are surprisingly good with my new Sony a6000. No need to break the bank...

 

the-kiosk-court-in-lansdowne-centre-shop

 

 

 

 

Striking shot John!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gvallee said:

Striking shot John!

 

Thanks. Shopping malls, a different universe altogether. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old car going to the big car park in the sky.

PG57RA.jpg

At least it was a nice day.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rupert the Bear, dabbing at the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta:

 

PDYTRA.jpg

This year's event was its fortieth anniversary and the iconic Rupert was at that first show. He's now showing his age and can't fly, and this was his first public appearance for many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Close your eyes everybody.

This is what I found in my garden. The remains of a frog.

I had to contact the frog experts at James Cook University to figure out what it was. Predation they said. A bird ate it then dropped it. It fell on my bush.

I had feared a deformed frog due to a virus, but nothing sinister they said. It did send the local Facebook page into meltdown though...

 

PGPBK6.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing with the tilt screen on my camera and quite like this low angle shot of my son on his bike.

 

a-young-boy-rides-his-bicycle-in-prospect-park-in-reading-uk-he-is-wearing-a-bicycle-helmet-and-protective-knee-and-elbow-pads-PG91KM.jpg

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing with my fisheye conversion lens again. Here's one that I like for some reason.

 

P.S. I probably could have removed the moiré patterns on the base of the dome, but I quite liked them.

 

woman-walking-past-the-bloedel-conservat

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 10:55, spacecadet said:

My old car going to the big car park in the sky.

PG57RA.jpg

At least it was a nice day.

 

I did the same thing with my old Corolla a number of years ago. The recycling guy gave me $100 CAN for it. Could have been worse...

 

P.S. Didn't you have to give the license plates back, or at least remove them?

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been playing with my fisheye conversion lens again. Here's one that I like for some reason.

 

P.S. I probably could have removed the moiré patterns on the base of the dome, but I quite liked them.

 

woman-walking-past-the-bloedel-conservat

 

I love the geometry. It has a high visual impact. Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 15:18, Olivier Parent said:

This one is for you Matt! ;)

 

holbox-island-on-the-beach-mexico-PFWENJ

 

Looks amazing! I could quite fancy being that person lying on the lounger in the shade! ... certainly beats being sat in an office!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

I love the geometry. It has a high visual impact. Well done!

 

Thanks again. BTW, there's a tropical ecosystem under that dome with hundreds of "exotic" plants and birds. Here's one of its longtime residents. I hadn't seen him for over ten years. He's in his 50's now. I have a feeling that he didn't recognize me. I've aged much more than he has.

 

close-up-of-a-mature-blue-and-gold-macaw

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks again. BTW, there's a tropical ecosystem under that dome with hundreds of "exotic" plants and birds. Here's one of its longtime residents. I hadn't seen him for over ten years. He's in his 50's now. I have a feeling that he didn't recognize me. I've aged much more than he has.

 

close-up-of-a-mature-blue-and-gold-macaw

 

Aww a Macaw. We also have such a dome here in Cairns.  Here's one of its residents. There is a zip line above him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

Looks amazing! I could quite fancy being that person lying on the lounger in the shade! ... certainly beats being sat in an office!

 

I liked the fact that this black shape reminded me "Mad men" poster…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.