I see stock photo's that have been accepted where there's lots of random people in the photo's. I know that each person needs a written permission to use their photo's, so are these photographers asking each person on the street if they have permission to use their photo's? That would be crazy ridiculous.

I moved to the Philippines a year ago, and often I'm left not taking photo's that I otherwise would because of all the people in them. There are people everywhere here, so getting photo's without people in the shot is very difficult often.

Also, it would be nice to take photo's of people on the streets or whatever without worrying about having each person sign something. Aside from the fact that would be tedious, very few people in this country would actually understand why I'm asking them to sign something, or even what it's for and asking would cause a lot of confusion, even if my wife were to translate what I was wanting. People here don't care about copyright laws, and most don't even know what copyright protection is, or care about it at all.

Are these photo's I'm seeing all for editorial use only, or is there some special thing happening here that I'm not aware of that's allowing people to use photo's that contain a lot of random people on the street without asking all of their permissions?

Thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, Avpics said:

You don't need releases to sell editorial. just be sure to mark them as being without releases and you'll be fine

That's true in the UK but not necessarily worldwide, the OP should check local laws re. street photography.

Just did, looks like a bill tried to pass a few years ago prohibiting it here, but after a public outcry the guy who put the bill out retracted it. Other than security guards at private establishments, it looks to be fine here.

Thanks for the tips, that helps a ton.

When I started in stock with Alamy, I didn’t understand about people in the picture. I thought I had to have releases for them all, and deleted a lot of good, saleable shots. One, I remember, were two small children squatting and playing in mud at a park. They were happy tots with mud streaked on their sweet faces!  

Took it, looked at it, proud of it, tossed it. Ahhh, many others. Storage was limited for me then.

Back then, the forum was a scary place. I read it, but knew better than to ask a newbie question because others who did lost a lot of skin. As in “stripped off” by the forum ogres.

Bless Alamy. They shut that forum down and reopened later, allowing people who play nice.  The worst of the worst were never seen again.

And I was no longer terrified of asking a question.

Betty

I have to say having way more forum experience than photographic experience (I used to run a relatively successful small "free speech rules" one) that the Alamy forum is incredibly nice peaceful and above all helpful.  I am seeing very experienced users and photographers coming in friendly to answer questions, some of which they have, with respect, probably been asked a million times before.

Nice place and if I could "like" the whole forum I would.

Well, thank you. We occasionally feel cranky if somebody asks and then sort of disappears or argues with us but usually it's nice to be able to help.

Paulette

It's a thoroughly nice place to be, here - and even when you're cranky, you're jolly polite about it! :D

I've been on some awful forums over the years - moderated on a few too, I hated suspending people, but had to on occasions - some nasty folks out there, but here feels very relaxed, friendly and helpful.

I feel privileged to be even a tiny part of it.

Archived