Question about adding alamy file number

Hi all, recently began uploading and can't work out a workflow for adding alamy file number.

I use lightroom, and have thought about appending the alamy ref., but thinking about it, the info is already in alamy so why bother?

What do you do?

Also, just noticed that my submissions end up as untitled with an alamy reference number. Do you title submissions? I use FTP.

Just realised, totally dopey question. IMHO.

Upon upload, as your images are actually uploading from the Alamy upload page, there is a place at the top to title the submission. I don’t use ftp, so cant address it.

But....after your images have been approved and you are prepping them in AIM, you can add a title to the whole submission then. Or even go back to old submissions and do it.

My titles might be “Plants” for trees, flowers.

I recently moved, so one or two submissions are titled “Moving” (packing boxes, etc)

Or one might be “Birds”

Some are titled naming a particular place.

Norman

Wichita

Will Rogers Park

you get the picture. (Pun)

Betty

OK, thanks Betty.

I went into AIM, selected a submission that had the untitled and alamy ref.. Clicked, and was able to give the upload a caption, and it appends the alamy ref..

So I can add a descriptive title and keep the alamy info.  Also you can add the caption to submission uploaded, but pending QC.

That works for me.

It all clicks (Pun?)

Cheers

Marshall

3 hours ago, Marsh said:

Also you can add the caption to submission uploaded, but pending QC.

Marshall

Marshall,

I would recommend that you add your metadata (tags/keywords, captions/descriptions, your copyright notice and contact info) into your RAW images before processing them to JPGs or your original JPGs depending on your workflow. This way, all your work adding metadata stays with your image rather than only being on the Alamy web site.

I can recommend a great book about the importance of Metadata and digital workflow that I found very helpful when I migrated from film to digital.

"The DAM Book" Digital Asset Management for Photographers by Peter Krogh

Hi dlmphotog, yes I am using LR to do that already, saves quite a lot of work.

The caption I am talking about above is the one for the actual submission that was uploaded to alamy, say 20 photos - alamy gives a submission reference number and calls it untitled

e..g. Untitled submission - ABC123456  you can edit the Untitled submission portion to give a more descriptive name to it.

Not sure if I will need it in the future, but it doesn't hurt to edit it for now.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Marsh said:

Hi dlmphotog, yes I am using LR to do that already, saves quite a lot of work.

The caption I am talking about above is the one for the actual submission that was uploaded to alamy, say 20 photos - alamy gives a submission reference number and calls it untitled

e..g. Untitled submission - ABC123456  you can edit the Untitled submission portion to give a more descriptive name to it.

Not sure if I will need it in the future, but it doesn't hurt to edit it for now.

Cheers

OK, now I understand your question. I just use the subject or location of the submission.

David L. Moore

I usually try and upload the same location in a batch, so my title would be changed to eg, "Stoke-on-Trent June 2018" or "England World Cup winners June 2018" ;)

John.

On 6/27/2018 at 14:37, Marsh said:

OK, thanks Betty.

I went into AIM, selected a submission that had the untitled and alamy ref.. Clicked, and was able to give the upload a caption, and it appends the alamy ref..

So I can add a descriptive title and keep the alamy info.  Also you can add the caption to submission uploaded, but pending QC.

That works for me.

It all clicks (Pun?)

Cheers

Marshall

You caught on to that nicely. Glad I could help.

5 hours ago, Stokie said:

I usually try and upload the same location in a batch, so my title would be changed to eg, "Stoke-on-Trent June 2018" or "England World Cup winners June 2018" ;)

John.

I try to keep my submissions separate too, to group images together. However over recent weeks the QC process has been mucking this up big style. Images take much longer to appear as being in QC in AIM, and when they do, separate submissions are often grouped together. Or part of a submission is split. It’s very annoying.

11 hours ago, Sally said:

I try to keep my submissions separate too, to group images together. However over recent weeks the QC process has been mucking this up big style. Images take much longer to appear as being in QC in AIM, and when they do, separate submissions are often grouped together. Or part of a submission is split. It’s very annoying.

I must admit i've never known that problem. In fact, luckily, i've never had any problems with submissions.

John.

15 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I must admit i've never known that problem. In fact, luckily, i've never had any problems with submissions.

John.

It may well be the result of a slow broadband upload speed (0.8). Living in a rural area has its downsides. 

1 minute ago, Sally said:

It may well be the result of a slow broadband upload speed (0.8). Living in a rural area has its downsides. 

I'm semi rural on the outskirts of Stoke-on-Trent but I got fibre broadband a couple of years ago with speeds of about 25mb. so uploads zoom through.

10 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I'm semi rural on the outskirts of Stoke-on-Trent but I got fibre broadband a couple of years ago with speeds of about 25mb. so uploads zoom through.

Lucky you. Despite being only 18 miles from Edinburgh, we are unfortunately on a exchange only line for which the Scottish Government has no solution in their ‘get everyone onto super fast broadband by 2020’. The only solution is to get a voucher from SG to pay for a wireless receiver from a private company. So I got a voucher, and had two visits from the company, but the configuration of our house means it is impossible to route the cable in a sensible way into the house without drilling holes in the walls and having an unsightly cable running down a wall. So we gave up on that idea.

Archived