One word tags versus phrases

I suspect some of you have been doing experiments on the relative impact of phrases versus the same thing in single words (I'm looking at you Wim).  Is it better to just stick with only the phrase, stick to only the single word tags, or do both?  Any thoughts or findings?

AFAIK Alamy have said that you don’t need to do both, since the search will work on the individual words in a phrase. But I can’t remember where I saw that. I probably have a lot of single words I don’t need, since I only read this recently. 

No findings!

I use a mix of the two. I like to be able to include phrases that might be used in a search, and I'm never sure which linking words are ignored by the search engine and those which should be included. Phrases tend to include these terms, so may be beneficial.

Presumably an exact match with a customer's search phrase will result in a higher probability of a view.

It remains a black art!

Thanks all.

I see you're a heavy phrase user Wim so I thought you knew something I didn't.

I ask not only for new images, but my re-annotation of older images.  I'm going backwards and am now at 2010 and loosing steam.  Much of this effort involves adding phrases and 10 supertags.  At this point I'm not sure it's worth it.

10 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Only on a couple of recent ones and on some that had sunk inexplicably behind non-sellers while being top-sellers. No solution for those I'm afraid. Previous top-sellers are just doomed.

wim

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Thanks all.

I ask not only for new images, but my re-annotation of older images.  I'm going backwards and am now at 2010 and loosing steam.  Much of this effort involves adding phrases and 10 supertags.  At this point I'm not sure it's worth it.

I too am still chipping away slowly at my pile of messed-up keywords. It has become an on-again, off-gain sort of project. For the most part, I just try to follow the advice Alamy has provided in their "best practices" tagging guide. I figure that they must know more about the search engine than I do. That said, it seems that tags are just another ingredient in the "secret sauce." I'm often surprised at how well some of my old images with garbled keywords continue to do in search results.

Archived