I had a German sale ($45) pop up today, and turns out that it is a distributor sale. I find this a little disappointing (although "a sale is a sale") since Alamy seems to have a relatively strong presence in Germany. Now I'm thinking that I should un-tick Germany on the distributors' list. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else nixed German distributors for similar reasons?

I had exactly the same today, a subject in Potsdam. Personally wouldn't want to take Germany off my distributor list as most of my images are German locations. But it does hurt when you see a sale is via a distributor.

I had exactly the same today, a subject in Potsdam. Personally wouldn't want to take Germany off my distributor list as most of my images are German locations. But it does hurt when you see a sale is via a distributor.

Mine was of an old Spanish library in Mexico. I have the only two images of this subject on Alamy, so this shot has some scarcity value (at least I like to think so). The German market seems very large and complex, with all kinds of agencies to choose from. So I guess it isn't surprising that photo buyers "shop around."

Too bad it isn't possible to exclude individual image from being released to distributors, rather than it being an "all or nothing" proposition. However, I suppose that might cause a bit of a nightmare for Alamy.

For some time now Alamy has had a German language website, but I have yet to hear of a direct German language sale - mine have been via distributors. I did go on (at length) at the time about the problems of translating keywords and the consequential false results in searches. Has anyone had a direct German sale?

Has anyone had a direct German sale?

Yes, just a couple of days ago.  At least I think so - there's nothing to say that it came via the German version of the website but I assume so from the usage.

B53BTN - Kauri tree, New Zealand - $ 90.43

Direct sale, not distributor.

I had a German sale ($45) pop up today, and turns out that it is a distributor sale. I find this a little disappointing (although "a sale is a sale") since Alamy seems to have a relatively strong presence in Germany. Now I'm thinking that I should un-tick Germany on the distributors' list. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else nixed German distributors for similar reasons?

Yes, I un-ticked Germany for distributor sales a long time ago (and more recently I un-ticked every other country - too many poor fees).

Chris

Most recent:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Textbook - print only
Industry sector: Non Profit/ Education
Sub-Industry: School/College

Print run: up to 10,000

then 3 months later, exact same photograph:

similar amounts both times, three-figure sum.

I like German sales.

dd

John, I think you summed up my thoughts on the subject with the words "a sale is a sale". In this day and age, and the stock world as it is, I'd be inlined to stay in there and accept the rough with the smooth. I tend to find that a low value sale is usually offset by a higher value sale somewhere along the line.

A $45 distributor sale is better than bog all I say to myself.

John, I think you summed up my thoughts on the subject with the words "a sale is a sale". In this day and age, and the stock world as it is, I'd be inlined to stay in there and accept the rough with the smooth. I tend to find that a low value sale is usually offset by a higher value sale somewhere along the line.

A $45 distributor sale is better than bog all I say to myself.

I agree. Better than bog-all it is (although after commissions subtracted, it almost is b-all). Oh well.

Most recent:

then 3 months later, exact same photograph:

similar amounts both times, three-figure sum.

I like German sales.

dd

Well done ;)

But were those direct sales or did you loose -70%, like I did?

Cheers,

Philippe

Direct . . . and no refund involved :-)

dd

Archived