Resizing photos to a larger file - HELP

What camera, how many mp does it shoot?

You may have fallen into the trap newbies often do.

If your camera is 6 mp or over, and you aren’t cropping them, they are large enough.  The 17mb size Alamy refers to is before you change to jpeg. The final jpeg will vary according to content. A small object on a white background will seem smaller than a photo of a rose bush, for instance. Many final jpegs could vary from 3mb to 7mb, according to how much content (how busy or simple) the image has. And that’s ok.

You want to pay attention to the dimensions, a final jpeg of a RAW will still have the same dimensions, such as 3000x2000 (example) or whatever.  

Betty

I agree with Betty, but also check you're not reducing the file size on export and that lightroom is conected to the origional files when exporting (ie you're not exporting from just a smart preview (I somehow manage to do this about once a month))!

J

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

What camera, how many mp does it shoot?

You may have fallen into the trap newbies often do.

If your camera is 6 mp or over, and you aren’t cropping them, they are large enough.  The 17mp size Alamy refers to is before you change to jpeg. The final jpeg will vary according to content. A small object on a white background will seem smaller than a photo of a rose bush, for instance. Many final jpegs could vary from 3mp to 7mp, according to how much content (how busy or simple) the image has. And that’s ok.

You want to pay attention to the dimensions, a final jpeg of a RAW will still have the same dimensions, such as 3000x2000 (example) or whatever.  

Betty

Hi Betty, you may want to edit your post. 17mp, 3mp and 7mp should be 17MB, 3MB and 7MB (ie. megabytes not megapixels). The 6mp is OK.

Mark

21 hours ago, Unknown_Photographer said:

Hi, 

Please can someone help me change my files in Lightroom to a larger file size as I can't upload some of my photos to this website :(

All photos were shot in raw, but I think post edit has made the file size small? 

If you can't upload them (having tried) this suggests the Alamy's uploader has rejected them as being too small (not enough pixels). Check your jpeg export settings in Lightroom aren't set to resize the image. If your image contains over 6 million pixels (for example is at least 3000 x 2000) it should be fine. Recommend downloading the AlamySizeCheck tool from here. Many Alamy forum members use this tool as a final check before uploading.

Mark

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks, mark

You're welcome.

FX<pedantic mode on>

I think it should be a capital M to denote "Mega" (small m denotes "milli") and a capital B to denote "Bytes (small b denotes "bits").

So I suppose it should really be MP for megapixels too

FX<Pedantic mode off>

Mark (sorry to be a PITA)

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Pain in the arse.

Or, as you say, donkey.

Lol. Good to know. One of those things I’ve puzzled over for years.  I got the gist that it meant “not a good thing” but that’s all.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

What the heck does PITA mean? I’ve wondered that for years.

It's a kind of bread they serve in the Middle East, but you don't need to cap all the letters.  :wacko:

Archived