Photo sold but never zoomed

Hi everybody,

Has it happen to you already to sell pictures that were never previously zoomed by clients ? It happened to me and I find it strange, I wouldn't buy a picture without looking carefull at it before.

Thank your for your insight

I would guess that at least two thirds of my sales have not been zoomed. It's perhaps encouraging to see some clients have had a closer look at our snaps but it doesn't mean they are going to turn into sales, nor that lack of zooms means your prospects of sales are doomed.

I spotted three of my images on a newspaper web site yesterday and they appear as views, but not zooms, in my data for yesterday. Possibly zoomed in the past and just checking for options, or maybe these larger clients have a magical route to purchase without a zoom being recorded? 

One of the magical routes seems to be the lightbox: it has been repeatedly reported here (well probably on the old board) that zooms from within a lightbox do not count towards zooms.

My guess is that experienced researchers and Alamy staff use lightboxes extensively.

wim

I

Hi Lit - Only a fraction of Alamy clients qualify for their zooms to be taken into account for the measures statistics. This also ignores mouse overs and lightbox zooms. This will hold back your CTR but still, its the sales that count - well done.

dov

I'm not sure where the idea originated that it's only a fraction of Alamy clients whose searches appear in Measures. Alamy have certainly never said this and on the search activity page they state "This data is collected from the search activity of our paying customers".   Furthermore, in the Contributer Help, they state "This tool allows you to see activity, including searches, views, zooms and sales for customers who have spent money on Alamy"

Information from buyers I know would indicate that this payment activity threshold is very low and so I'd suggest that the majority of searches from active buyers appear in the statistics.

As I've posted before, I did some tests with buyers which showed that zooms from within lightboxes and from the "more" button don't show up in Measures.

Perhaps Alamy could clarify and clear up some of the misinformation.

Ian

If a customer searches and zooms without being logged in then these zooms will not be registered. If they later come back to buy the image after logging in, there is no way we can retrospectively associate the zoom with that sale.

Also, to confirm, zooms from searches following a click on 'more' and zooms from within lightboxes are not registered with Alamy measures.

Cheers

James A

Take a look at the information here, particularly the definition of "customer", ("Any signed up individual client who has spent over a certain threshold with Alamy.")

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/alamysearch-engine-explained.asp

Thanks, David - I was aware of the definition of a customer but, as I stated, my contention is that the spend threshold is relatively low.

If a customer searches and zooms without being logged in then these zooms will not be registered. If they later come back to buy the image after logging in, there is no way we can retrospectively associate the zoom with that sale.

Also, to confirm, zooms from searches following a click on 'more' and zooms from within lightboxes are not registered with Alamy measures.

Cheers

James A

Thanks, James - but the clarification I was actually seeking regards the percentage of total customer activity that is reflected in Measures. I would have hazarded a guess that it's around 90%?

Ian

Take a look at the information here, particularly the definition of "customer", ("Any signed up individual client who has spent over a certain threshold with Alamy.")

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/alamysearch-engine-explained.asp

Thanks, David - I was aware of the definition of a customer but, as I stated, my contention is that the spend threshold is relatively low.

>>If a customer searches and zooms without being logged in then these zooms will not be registered. If they later come back to buy the image after logging in, there is no way we can retrospectively associate the zoom with that sale.

Cheers

James A

Thanks, James - but the clarification I was actually seeking regards the percentage of total customer activity that is reflected in Measures. I would have hazarded a guess that it's around 90%?

Ian

It's not a set percentage (can vary depending on new customers coming in or old ones dropping off), but it is set on a reliable group that gives data from which you can draw solid information from. 

Cheers

James A

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, about 15% of my sales were zoomed. sometimes it may be enough to view the larger image when you hover over it to make a determination as to buy it, move it to a lightbox, or move on.. 

Archived