Aspect ratio

ACC

I don’t know why i never noticed before but I spotted today that my two cameras are set up differently. One is 3:2 the other 3:4. I’ve sold pictures in both formats but just wondering is one better for stock than the other. Any views?

I use different aspect ratios when I crop pictures, depending what works best for the image. 

Clients do also rudimentary search by aspect ration, like square (1:1), Landscape (width>hight), Portrait (width<hight) and panoramic (I believe this is anything like 16:9, 2:1 and the like). 

Not sure if one ratio is favored over the other. 

Don't know what buyers prefer, but I stick with 3:2 unless cropping changes the ratio. Aren't your RAW files always 3:2 no matter what the aspect ratio setting is? My Sony cameras default to 3:2 in RAW. I discovered this -- I'm a slow learner -- a couple of years ago when I got home from a trip and found out that I had accidentally changed the aspect ratio to 16:9. Was very relieved.

While full format  is 3:2, Micro Four Thirds are 4:3 aspect ratio. 

There are also sensors with other aspect ratios then 3:2 or 4:3.

I do not believe aspect ratio has a significant influence on clients decision.

Unless I have cropped an image myself to create a better image I just upload at the sensor ratio and let the customer set the image ratio by cropping it themselves should they so wish.

Allan

49 minutes ago, John Crellin said:

One small thing - I crop 2:3  portrait to 3:4 if absolutely nothing is lost from the content as I feel it helps the thumbnail people choose from.

John

I too have often cropped 3:2 portraits (esp head & shoulders) towards 4:3 to lose dead space, while still leaving room for cover lines). I use an aspect ratio that looks right rather than a specific ratio.

Archived