Hi all, when would anybody use copy space as a tag. I only ask because i have seen lots of images with copy space as one of the tags and to be honest i would be hard pushed to see any room for copy.

Just throwing it out as a question.

Cheers to you all Andy.

Thanks Paulette

I only asked because i have seen it on several occasions on an obviously unsuitable images, and began to wonder am i being naive or just cynical that it was being used as a hook so to speak. 

Andy

I have some images tagged copy space, copyspace. Looking, you might think there isn’t any. But if I have the subject off to the side, top or bottom, and there are leaves or something innocuous, then that space can written over with white text. If the BG is light, say a ripe grain field but the subject is a tractor sitting there off to the side, then the wheat field can be used for black text.

Why do I do this? Because I’ve seen it done in magazines.

But if there isn’t usable space I don’t tag it that way. I feel layout people are the kinds of people who think outside of the box, and I try to think that way also.

In fact, my close and extended family are constantly trying to force me back in the box, to no avail!

Betty

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have some images tagged copy space, copyspace. Looking, you might think there isn’t any. But if I have the subject off to the side, top or bottom, and there are leaves or something innocuous, then that space can written over with white text. If the BG is light, say a ripe grain field but the subject is a tractor sitting there off to the side, then the wheat field can be used for black text.

Why do I do this? Because I’ve seen it done in magazines.

But if there isn’t usable space I don’t tag it that way. I feel layout people are the kinds of people who think outside of the box, and I try to think that way also.

In fact, my close and extended family are constantly trying to force me back in the box, to no avail!

Betty

+1, what she said for me too, except the box thingy.  I'm irrevocably stuck inside the box.  :P

Rick

quick check of AoA shows that both copy space and copyspace are searched for by clients.

There are not many zooms and no sales attributed to, but that does not mean that images were not taken into light boxes or sold at a later stage. 

The sales are - to my understanding - only recorded if a customer searches something and then immediately buys an image from that very search. 

Also I believe some huge clients may have some direct access to the data, and these searches and zooms may not be recorded at all. 

Based on this, I keep adding these keywords where relevant. 

13 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Good point. I was going to mention AofA in my post above....but somehow my brain didn't think to transmit those thoughts to my fingers for typing. :wacko:

Does AofA show all searches though? I've never been sure if it's like our own data that only shows it for known or bigger customers. I think that probably is the case that it's still only for the bigger customers, but of course it shows data for all contributors rather than just our own.

Geoff.

(All of the below is assumption - so do not take for granted) 

I dont think AoA shows all searches, probably only the ones of real clients are shown and obviously only when they are logged in. 

May well happen that, say an intern, searches images on Alamy without being logged in, from that creates a shortlist in a lightbox that he then shares. 

Also for zooms, as mentioned occasionally in other threads, with the larger preview images, it may well be that clients, instead of zooming, push images to their liking into light boxes. 

When zoomed inside the lightbox, that is neither recorded as a zoom nor ends it up anywhere in the search list of the pseudonyms or AoA. 

Archived