Does anyone understand what this vote on Extended Collective Licencing is all about? How will it affect us? What is Alamy's position?

The deadline apparently is 28th July.

the question relates to the complex stand-off between other ambitions for the collective pot. Bridgeman is a player which I confess I don't really understand but more serious is PIXSEl which is BAPLA in simplistic terms. Alamy is a member of BAPLA, I am also a member of BAPLA as an one-man-band

In a nutshell, DACS acts for originators such as artists and individual photographers; the first-rung creators if you wish. The others just want to grab some of the money if they can find a way.

I am sure photographers and artists are best served by DACS and backing DACS IN this simple poll. it is rather understated probably for legal niceties.

Alamy seemed to think it not worth the bother for many years, but finally took a closer look and woke up to the fact that there was some serious revenue in this area. I made the same mistake and missed out on a good many years windfall. 

DACS is your friend!

Basically, if you have a reasonable grasp of UK publishing and where you stand and know at least three books and three magazine identifier numbers, make a DACS claim and vote for them in the poll. Otherwise let Alamy claim for you. But it still wouldn't hurt to back DACS. You might move up in the professional ranks one day and reap the benefit

9 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

the question relates to the complex stand-off between other ambitions for the collective pot. Bridgeman is a player which I confess I don't really understand but more serious is PIXSEl which is BAPLA in simplistic terms. Alamy is a member of BAPLA, I am also a member of BAPLA as an one-man-band

In a nutshell, DACS acts for originators such as artists and individual photographers; the first-rung creators if you wish. The others just want to grab some of the money if they can find a way.

I am sure photographers and artists are best served by DACS and backing DACS IN this simple poll. it is rather understated probably for legal niceties.

Alamy seemed to think it not worth the bother for many years, but finally took a closer look and woke up to the fact that there was some serious revenue in this area. I made the same mistake and missed out on a good many years windfall. 

DACS is your friend!

Basically, if you have a reasonable grasp of UK publishing and where you stand and know at least three books and three magazine identifier numbers, make a DACS claim and vote for them in the poll. Otherwise let Alamy claim for you. But it still wouldn't hurt to back DACS. You might move up in the professional ranks one day and reap the benefit

Very well put; I must admit that I was somewhat baffled by the email, too. Thank you. I will be giving my consent.  

26 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the link and I agree with the comment that much of the information about ECL seems to be deliberately opaque - a point I made above.

But I also sense that the comment in your link might be straying towards the alarmist. 

For example,:

“digital re-use and communication of works that are part of composite works, like books and magazines”

Let me paraphrase. Digital re-use and communication of pictures in books and magazines. I hope that has woken you up. This is frightening.

We are now clearly talking about Primary, not just Secondary rights here.

Isn't this more about the rights of libraries, universities, museums and so on to copy and digitise items such as old  books, old photos etc which are Orphan Works but of cultural significance?

The information in that link is somewhat concerning. I had been prepared to vote Yes, but now I'm unsure! I'd thought that it was fairly straightforward, but maybe not?! 

This does seem like the EU referendum all over again : lots of unclear information from interested parties on both sides, each determined to fulfil their own agenda, with little clarity, lots of unanswered questions and no option to change your mind should more information come to light about what is planned or may happen in the future.

I have a strong feeling that many individuals will abstain and the decision will ultimately be out of our hands. 

Archived