I've NEVER had one, despite making claims here against several. Disgruntled would be the nicest word I could use regarding the follow-through on this by Alamy. I now have two or three going back more than a year. 

Since April 2015 Alamy have chased eight infringement cases of mine.  Seven were closed without result.  The eighth, recently submitted, is still active.  So far I've never received a single dollar for an infringement Alamy is pursuing.

I notified Alamy on Wednesday of a use from January 2017, which hadn't shown up in my account. They responded quickly and having followed it up, advised it would show as a sale the following day - which it did.  

I've been paid for lots of mine but have noticed that the ones that get cleared quickly, like the one this week, are usually from the well known newspapers, magazines in the UK and Europe which are already customers on the system. Others have just disappeared and it's an admin nightmare keeping track and following up. However, I believe that unless infringements are reported and chased, we will continue to be ripped off. Of the ones that Alamy have advised that weren't downloads from their system and that I could follow up myself, I have been successful in securing 3 figure sums.

In my approach to Alamy, I always fill out the 'unreported usage form' which includes links and screen shots etc .  In recent years, these are usually invoiced that month but the disappointing thing is the price received and the extended license dates! I sent in the form recently showing a use from 2014. I believe that there can, sometimes, be genuine mistakes but what makes my blood boil is when it shows in my account with the licence dates Nov 2016 to Nov 2021! So in total they had nearly 3 free years plus an extra 5 years thrown in - all for the gross price of £4.84!  Come on, why is there no 'additional admin fee, late payment fee even just a proper fee for the use of the image during that time!

Rant over!!

I agree Lynne, I think the duration of the license should start when the image is first used.  I have found unreported images from last summer that were finally billed, and the license starts now.  Yours from 2014 is even worse!

Maria

Good to know something is happening. I was wondering more about clear cases of theft - websites copying from online papers for their own use rather than legitimate customers not paying on time / at all.

One of my images that was used online has been copied dozens of times for use on commercial websites and I haven't seen anything from them.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:45, Lynne said:

I notified Alamy on Wednesday of a use from January 2017, which hadn't shown up in my account. They responded quickly and having followed it up, advised it would show as a sale the following day - which it did.  

I've been paid for lots of mine but have noticed that the ones that get cleared quickly, like the one this week, are usually from the well known newspapers, magazines in the UK and Europe which are already customers on the system. Others have just disappeared and it's an admin nightmare keeping track and following up. However, I believe that unless infringements are reported and chased, we will continue to be ripped off. Of the ones that Alamy have advised that weren't downloads from their system and that I could follow up myself, I have been successful in securing 3 figure sums.

In my approach to Alamy, I always fill out the 'unreported usage form' which includes links and screen shots etc .  In recent years, these are usually invoiced that month but the disappointing thing is the price received and the extended license dates! I sent in the form recently showing a use from 2014. I believe that there can, sometimes, be genuine mistakes but what makes my blood boil is when it shows in my account with the licence dates Nov 2016 to Nov 2021! So in total they had nearly 3 free years plus an extra 5 years thrown in - all for the gross price of £4.84!  Come on, why is there no 'additional admin fee, late payment fee even just a proper fee for the use of the image during that time!

Rant over!!

Prior to the form we had to fill that alamy supplied a few years back I reported a image use that had not been declared by a daily newspaper two years previous to me finding it. Eventually I got paid at the current rate then which was about $20. At the time they used it but failed to declare its use they were paying $200 for exactly the same licence.

Certainly no incentive to correctly report by the end user

Kevin

23 hours ago, KWheal said:

Prior to the form we had to fill that alamy supplied a few years back I reported a image use that had not been declared by a daily newspaper two years previous to me finding it. Eventually I got paid at the current rate then which was about $20. At the time they used it but failed to declare its use they were paying $200 for exactly the same licence.

Certainly no incentive to correctly report by the end user

Kevin

The same thing has happened to me on various occasions but not with such a large difference in price! I really don't understand it as it's both Alamy and us who loose out!

Archived