Live news newbie - first time experience

Hey everyone,

So I attended a small festival in Austria today and I thought I would have a go at uploading to Live News, not so much because I thought it would sell (as it's quite a back end area in Austria), but more to try it out. So managed to edit photos, fill out the IPTC fields in Lightroom and upload. Seems like I filled out the wrong fields in Lightroom, only the caption appeared, not the headline. And then the photos passed QC really quick, but weren't showing as being for sale. So then I had a frantic period captioning and filling out the optional fields. So... I'm not sure if the photos were only on sale for Live News, or not at all? Guess I'll try different fields in Lightroom next time. Has anyone got any tips, or similar stories to share?

Steve

When using Lightroom, you put your headline in the title field. At least you do if you are using Lightroom 5, as I am, so if you are using an older version of Lightroom, that could be what happened to your headline. It's a bit counterintuitive.  Without a headline, your images may have been taken down from the news feed unless you got in contact with the news team - I don't know if they can headline them for you but it's worth asking. Can you still see your images?

Hi Pat, thanks for the message. Yes, I can still see them in Image Manager. They're now showing as being on sale after I captioned them. It seems that Alamy took my caption field and used it for the headline when I uploaded. OK yes, I saw the title field in LR at the top, it is counterintuitive, "headline" was much further down and didn't work! Hope they're up in Live News, but I can't find them when I search.... Thanks for the help.

3 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:
7 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

In Lightroom make sure you have the IPTC tab selected only

Enter HEADLINE and DESCRIPTION only

Add 5 keywords if you want

Hi LawrensonPhoto,

admittedly I'm using an ancient version of lightroom, but I use the title field for my headline, and it works. Is that not the same for you? Am I doing something really odd with my workflow???

10 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I have lightroom CC

I have Lightroom 5, so maybe there's a difference. I will edit my post to include my Lightroom version, don't want people reading in the future to use my suggestion if it is inaccurate.

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

So... I'm not sure if the photos were only on sale for Live News, or not at all? Guess I'll try different fields in Lightroom next time. Has anyone got any tips, or similar stories to share?

I always check the Live News Feed to see if they are on sale. Sometimes it can take half an hour for them to be on the Live news feed.. if they don't appear within an hour, I assume I did something wrong. You can check the live news feed here:

http://www.alamy.com/news/

After a couple of days, they will come off the Live news feed and go on sale as regular stock. Keyword them as normal when they reach this stage.

The "Not on Sale" in the image manager is in relation to stock, and is meaningless within the 48 hours other than to tell you whether the image will be available immediately as stock once the timer is up.

During the 48 hours, you have to check the Live News Feed manually to see if they're up. I think they're sorted by upload date/time. If it says passed QC, then it should be there.

In Lightroom Library module, scroll to the Metadata tab (RHS). From the dropdown select IPTC. Scroll the RHS window down to Content. The Headline and Description fields are the first two fields.

• 5 months later...

Archived