Help with pricing image/s

A shipping company who work in the offshore/oil industry are showing some interest in a batch of

images i took of one of their ships last week (ship was anchored near city port, images taken from public footpath).

I rarely sell images direct, so not really sure what to quote. Offer them bulk discount? Exclusive price...?

Any experienced commision/direct sell forum members point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Joe

Thanks, Philippe

I`d forgotten all about that. Is it still relevant in the current pricing climate?

Joe

It is when you have a captive market, although I'd probably be looking at it as a bare minimum.

And you don't offer a discount when someone comes to you. You might concede one later, but that's not the same thing.

But do make sure there aren't any images of the ship, or line, on any library.

The old adage of maximum price for minimum rights is where you start. If they are new to the matter of buying photos, they may think they are simply buying them outright, especially if they think you are a bit of a novice. It is your job to restrict the rights and endurance with a view to further revenue/charges in the future. And for sure, don't start from the position of discount for a bundle even if you have that in mind. And don't put them up on any on-line sites, not yet anyway.

The size of the shipping company might be a consideration. If you charge, say, a one year license be sure to keep an eye on their usage as is so common for clients to run and run hoping you wont notice.

So the consensus is RM. That is what I would do, despite the rush to RF. Joe, be sure and specify the rights granted in detail on paper. As important as the fee to avoid future confusion on their part. If they understand that they are licensing (not buying) things will be ok.

Here is what I usually do:

1. Get as much info from the buyer as possible about how (and how long) the image(s) would be used

2. Ask what their budget is for photos

3. Check various price calculators (e.g. Alamy and other agencies) to get a ballpark figure

4. Name a realistic price based on #2 and #3 above and be ready to negotiate

Good luck.

In addition to what others have said, I'd ask them what their photo budget is. It could be more than you expected, or it could be so little that it's out of the question.

Be ready to negotiate. Consider the minimum you're willing to accept and stick with it.

In addition to what others have said, I'd ask them what their photo budget is. It could be more than you expected, or it could be so little that it's out of the question.

Be ready to negotiate. Consider the minimum you're willing to accept and stick with it.

After popping the budget question, I've had some very pleasant surprises, as well some not-so-pleasant ones.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a negotiator, but I seem to have developed a pretty good nose for what clients (such as they are these days) are willing to pay.

Archived