Mindset: Success and Failure

Good reading. I tend to agree. With the exception I do believe some are born, not so much with talent but more aptitude or desire to attain it.

I never considered myself born with artistic talent. Quite the reverse. I had low self-esteem for much of my life, due to the life circumstances I was born into.

But what set me apart from my two sisters, was a strong desire, a craving, you might say, to do artistic things. If you crave it enough, it will set you on a path to learn how to satisfy the craving.

That's why, in the fall/winter of my life, I'm still pushing, and recently subscribed to Illustrator. Not sure if I will win out on that one! :D

Great topic.

Edited to add: The topic is Success or Failure. Even though I had low self esteem, I never believed my pursuit of following my passion would end up in failure.

Obviously, I'm not super talented or I'd be lolling in my beach chair on a tropical island with my mansion behind me.

Betty

I think the trick is being able to think in the medium and that takes being fluent technically which is very much the part that requires practice and thinking about technique.  Simply learning how to replicate other people's great photos/great books/great music tends to be where most people stop.  Not saying that I am, but the problem with most amateur work is that it's about some other work, somewhat like people memorizing phrases in foreign languages without being able to think in them.

Interesting. I vividly recall in kindergarden, I was still drawing stick people, and there was a boy, who could draw these very detailed characters, in a cartoon-type fashion, and that vivid memory has lasted to this day, and have made me believe, that there is something like... skill... well, Baden Powell was giving concerts at age 12. 

Archived