Sold my first RM image ever

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 June 2013
End: 02 June 2013
One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within print and /or web versions, with re-use of the article in other titles or web versions within the same newspaper group. Digital use includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

20 dollar gross. 

D30F73

Image is exclusive to Alamy as well

D30F73.jpg

Thanks, I think so too. 

But what can I do about it?  :)

nice photo, its worth more!

If you are in the newspaper scheme then you could pull out of it. Which could result in less sales.

Regards

Craig

That's an even worse deal then if you have already opted out of the scheme.

I would restrict it to "not for newspaper use" in manage images. it's a really nice shot and worth a lot more of anyone's Dollar.

Regards

Craig

The reality is supply is at an all ime high. Prices of 5 to 30 dollars for newspapers is OK these days. Thats the going rate across boards. Remember some newspapers have laid off photogs in favour of journos to take photos with iphones. Therefore, I think the newspapaer scheme is alright. I just think alamy seems to have trouble attracting advertising sales. That's the problem I see, mostly small sales which I can live with but a failure to target a big commission as it warrants

nice photo, its worth more!

Congratulations on the sale but $20 does seem low for such a nice image.

Nice picture, I agree... but the 'niceness' of an image, in terms of stock pricing, is simply irrelevant...

Next time I'll be sure to run my compliment by you for appropriate wording... ;)

That wasn't my point. Stock pix are generally priced by useage (size of published image, circulation of magazine, editorial or commercial, etc) not by the perceived quality of the image: great, good, OK, so-so. It's an important distinction, IMO...

Stunningly good pic - IMO certainly worth more.

I myself have often found that what I think are my better pictures seem to get lower prices. I made a trip to St Petersburg and my first sale, for some months, was of a toilet!

If we knew what the buyers wanted and would be prepared to pay a normal price for then we would all be a lot better off.

Well done anyway - you at least have the admiration of your peers.

dov

The picture was published at the end of June so what is strange is that if you pull out of the newspaper scheme them papers should not (I believe) be able to view your images. This makes it a bit of a catch 22 whether to opt in or not. Also it proves that it was sold against your terms with Alamy.

Nice picture.

Andy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2351855/Holidays-America-Iconic-architecture-stunning-views-gangster-tours-buzzy-chic-Chicago.html

Just to confirm that the customer should not see your images.

These options refer to the specific schemes mentioned above, these schemes are only in operation with a select group of customers. Opting out will result in those customers not seeing your images. Opting out does not act as a general licence restriction and no restrictions will be set on your images as a result of you opting out.

Therefore, it is a poor price for a sale that is outside of the scheme that should not have even been viewed.

Andy

Just to add that I have noticed the sale was for the 1st of June so the 30th may be another sale which I suggest chasing up after 3 months if nothing shows up.

I had an image in the DM last year that was used 3 times after chasing I got paid for 1 more use.

My first RM image was bought twice, for $59.95 each in April 2013. It then was re-licensed for $5.95 last month. I was over the moon that it sold, but a little offended that it was re-licensed for such a low amount, however, when Alamy take 50% of that amount, you certainly do feel cheated. 

Archived