Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Digital SLR

Good evening all.

Have been hoping to see comments reference latest Canon 5d MK4.

Has anyone purchased this latest edition... any initial critique..... 

I am giving it thought but with my present 5d MK3 is doing the business.

Maybe just to put on wish list or a worthwhile upgrade???

any comments

Thanks

"Sparks"

I bought the 5D MK IV when it first came out.  I was using the 5D MK II so it was a big upgrade for me.  I had upgraded all my lenses in the last couple of years and knew I wasn't getting the full benefit of their resolution capabilities. Now with the Mark IV I am finding that I am able to crop to minimum image sizes and still have a usable photo.  I have been able to crop to less then 3000x2000 and then resize up to minimum Alamy size and still pass QC.  I'm not sure if I could do that with the Mark II.  I had been relying on my 7d for action shots but find I get better results with the new camera and cropping, especially at high ISO.  There is slightly more dynamic range and auto focus capability is very good.  The WI-FI is handy for still life photography as you can focus and control most other settings with you tablet or phone.  Almost everyone online has complained about the 4K video file size, I don't really care about that at all and will mainly use it for still photography.  It has greatly increased the number of usable photographs as the Mark II does not have great auto focus capability.  I still use the Mark II for the easy stuff.  The GPS is nice if you are out and about.  I took it to Yosemite when I first got it and it was nice to be able to retrace my steps on the map in Lightroom.  The latest Lightroom update now supports tethering for the Mark IV.  I bought two memory cards for it 128GB SD and CF cards  no way would I ever fill them up.  I only bought the CF card because I wanted to try out the 4k video and I wasn't getting 7 frames per second.  Maybe I should have gotten a faster SD card.  The manual has what memory cards Canon recommends for the camera and you can download that off their website.  All in all I am very happy with the camera and it was exactly what I was hoping Canon would come out with.  It is certainly not revolutionary but it is great for what I do.  I like that the file sizes aren't monstrous and they don't overtax my computer.  It feels a little bigger in the hand than the MK II.  I was considering one of the Sony's too but they are quite small and I have large hands so the controls on the MK IV are easy to operate for me.  I have the Canon G1X MK II and it is small for me.  Your old batteries will work in it too.  So it is a great all purpose camera with good video capabilities, but I wouldn't buy it for that purpose only.  The 4k video I have seen online from it looks great and I am sure it does a fine job with standard 1080p stuff too.  If I wanted to do 4K I would look into a video only camera.  Youtube has many opinions about it.  If I were a full time wedding photographer I would want a couple of them as I think it would increase your success rate.  Read what this photographer has to say about it. http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00eD49

As a Nikon D810 user, I am really surprised at the price of the 5D MK IV. It's about 50% dearer than the Nikon here in the UK (even post £ collapse v $), has a smaller sensor and still isn't equal to the Nikons (or the Sonys) in terms of dynamic range. The two cameras seem to be very similarly specified apart from the 4K video but I doubt most photographers are going to be buying the 5D MK IV for that. One could get the amazing D810 and a few very good lenses for the price of the 5D MK IV body - not suggesting that Canon users are likely to do that if otherwise invested in lenses etc but worth a thought.

I upgraded from 5D III to IV and absolutely love it.  It was well worth the price for me.  There is an improvement in noise handling at high ISO and since I shoot a lot of events this is great for me.  Love the touch screen, built-in GPS and digital level (I thought overlaying the grid in the viewfinder was all I needed but it's a huge difference with a digital level, or whatever it's called), more focus points (including cross type) all of these are so worth the upgrade.  I haven't used the dual pixel RAW yet as I'm waiting for the software manufacturers to catch up, as I don't use Canon software for processing, but I'm interested to try it.

One thing I would add is that I had originally planned on buying the 5D MK IV and the 7D MK II to replace my 5D MK II and 7D.  I changed my mind after using the new camera and have stopped using the 7D altogether.  If anything I would like a second MK IV.  I wish Canon would come out with the same camera without the video capabilities at a lower price.  I think somewhere around $2900 would be a good target.

Thanks to all for replies. Will be sticking to present

Kit at the moment .

I AGREE WITH JOHNNIE5 REGARDING CANON BRINGING OUT SLR WITHOUT VIDEO EXTRAS.

But again thanks to all

Sparks

One interesting phenomenon with the 5D Mk IV is with an old Vivitar 100-300 Macro Zoom that I bought at a thrift store a few years ago for $20.  I have never been able to get a photo with it that would pass Alamy QC until using it with the MK IV.  It is manual focus so I bought a focus confirming adapter (it's Pentax mount).  It has terrible purple fringing in bright sunlight and flare is awful when pointed anywhere near the sun, but is actually not too bad in the right circumstances.  It is a very useful zoom range also.  I also have some older Olympus OM lens I need to try out with it.

an-asian-woman-fiddling-with-her-nikon-c

• 4 weeks later...

Why would anyone want a 5D iv when there is a wonderful thing called a K-1 for half the price?

Well, if you have a bag full of extremely expensive Canon lenses, there might just be some incentive...

For my part, I'm hanging onto my 5D mkII and my 6D, both still produce cracking files, and owe me nothing.

5D mkIV? 5DS? Maybe one day ....

:)

Why would anyone want a 5D iv when there is a wonderful thing called a K-1 for half the price?

Well, if you have a bag full of extremely expensive Canon lenses, there might just be some incentive...

For my part, I'm hanging onto my 5D mkII and my 6D, both still produce cracking files, and owe me nothing.

5D mkIV? 5DS? Maybe one day ....

Good kit is easy enough to sell online, especially L lenses, which hold their value pretty well.

what's that?

One of these I believe....

Nice camera if you've lots of K mount lenses.

Even if you don't have, you can go online and have lots of them in 48 hours. I don't work for Pentax by the way, just saying.

what's that?

Even if you don't have, you can go online and have lots of them in 48 hours. I don't work for Pentax by the way, just saying.

Good sales pitch! :)

However, I break out in a sweat at the thought spending money. :o

Particularly if it isn't going to generate more money! :blink:

Yikes! All this talk of spending's given me bad vibes - off for a lie down in a darkened room....

what's that?

Good sales pitch! :)

However, I break out in a sweat at the thought spending money. :o

Particularly if it isn't going to generate more money! :blink:

Yikes! All this talk of spending's given me bad vibes - off for a lie down in a darkened room....

Believe me there is no-one more cost-benefit optimised than I when it comes to gear. Hence the attraction of a system that does more, for half the cost. To me it's a no-brainer... :P

Here is a photo I just uploaded.  Shot at ISO 12800 with the Mark IV 1/100 f/2.8 with the 70-200 2.8L IS II  It looks better than the Mark II at ISO 3200.

the-scene-of-an-accident-on-a-rural-road

Looks good!

Not suggesting things haven't moved on, or that there aren't better pieces of kit out there (in Canon, Pentax, Nikon and Sony).

Just that I only only ever buy new kit when

a. something breaks, or

b. it'll make me more money

Just my ethos, I'm afraid. But If I were to buy a new body, it'd be Canon, coz like you, I've a lot of cash invested in the lenses. Replacing those would be a senseless waste.

The Canon MIV is in fact the only camera I regret buying during 2016. I did get it exclusivly for the 4K video which turned out NOT to be genuine 4K and in fact less practical then my Canon D80. The Canon D80 is by far the only canon most geared towards video.

In 2015 I got the Canon 50Dsr and mainly for my commissioned work not stock ( overkill for stock) and this one completely slaughter the MIV.

I would sum it up unless you need the crop factor, unless you absolutely need 4K ( which sell very little compared to 1080). the MIV is not very different from the MIII. The Canon MIII is still regarded as possibly the best Canon ever made.

Archived