Need help with rx100 filter type

Hi all,

I am getting a Polarising and a Close up filter for my rx100 i.  i can see they will screw in to my filter adapter, but I don't understand the Threaded Type business.  Could anyone please tell me how it pertains to rx100 i and/or screw in filters?  Been looking high and low for this info...

Thnks,

Vickie.

I'm pleased with how the Sony filter adapter works for this camera. The filter screws into the outer part and the inner part gets stuck onto the camera with the double-sided tape provided. Once attached, you can remove the filter by pinching the adapter with thumb and forefinger. It's well worth the added bulk for the convenience. 

There is no filter thread on the Sony RX100 to my knowledge.

Allan

EDIT  Did not know about an adaptor.

ITMA

So the adaptor takes a 49mm diameter thread filter. :)

Allan

Sorry, I can't think of another way to explain it. You choose a filter by thread diameter and that's it. There is no other parameter. The thread pitch does not vary.

Does this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_thread#Lead.2C_pitch.2C_and_starts

That does help, thanks.  I know I need a 49mm size filter.  I want to know if it should be single or double thread.  I might be confused.  Don't really wanna know the ins and outs of screw designs!

Vickie.

I'm pleased with how the Sony filter adapter works for this camera. The filter screws into the outer part and the inner part gets stuck onto the camera with the double-sided tape provided. Once attached, you can remove the filter by pinching the adapter with thumb and forefinger. It's well worth the added bulk for the convenience. 

Yeah, I think it's neat too.

Allan

ITMA

Allan

Hi Allan,

This is starting to make sense!  But the shop I'm buying from asked me if I need a single or double thread...

Vickie.

As Mark says above you need not worry about pitch, single or double thread as all filters are made to a standard these days. All you need is the diameter, which you have.

Allan

Allan

ITMA

Allan

Hi Allan,

This is starting to make sense!  But the shop I'm buying from asked me if I need a single or double thread...

Vickie.

I have never been asked that when buying filters.

Think someone may be having a larf.

Allan

As Mark says above you need not worry about pitch, single or double thread as all filters are made to a standard these days. All you need is the diameter, which you have.

Allan

ITMA

Allan

Hi Allan,

Vickie.

I have never been asked that when buying filters.

Think someone may be having a larf.

Allan

Some confusion somewhere.  I know I know nothing!

Thanks a lot All.

Vickie.

You may need to be careful using a closeup filter. The degradation in image quality can be significant if you buy too cheaply and may give problems with Alamy QC.

The Marumi achromatic close-up filters seem OK though, so much so that I no longer bother carrying my macro lens with me.

You may need to be careful using a closeup filter. The degradation in image quality can be significant if you buy too cheaply and may give problems with Alamy QC.

The Marumi achromatic close-up filters seem OK though, so much so that I no longer bother carrying my macro lens with me.

Appreciate your advice.  Good to know the above could 'replace' a lens, also.

Cheers.

While (I'm) on the subject of filters - Have been browsing all different types of uses, but haven't seen and would like one that enhances night photgraphy.  Anyone know of one?

Thank you,

Vickie.

What exactly are you looking for? In what way should it enhance a photograph?

While (I'm) on the subject of filters - Have been browsing all different types of uses, but haven't seen and would like one that enhances night photgraphy.  Anyone know of one?

Thank you,

Vickie.

What exactly are you looking for? In what way should it enhance a photograph?

You know, one of those magic filters that eliminates camera shake, motion blur, and noise by increasing light levels  ;)

A neutral undensity filter  :wacko:

Archived