So you've survived your first plane crash.

The aircraft is filling with smoke and your fellow-passengers are grabbing their overhead bags for the evacuation that the cabin crew are screaming for you to perform via the slides, past a burning engine and minutes from the fuel tank explosion.

Do you delay, calmly unzip your bag for a camera with the right lens, check your settings and shoot like a maniac? Or - do you get the Hell out to see your loved-ones again, forever regretting not getting the picture which could have made you millions?

Your call. But here's what happened yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36971855

Fly safe.

Richard.

Collecting hand luggage? Shocking disregard for the gravity of the situation. They should be prosecuted.

You cant fix stupid...

That's a fact but you can give it a sore nose. I can't believe that some don't know you can't take luggage down an escape chute. Funkyworm, I do that wherever I go, I'm always checking for exits. 30 years of training being on the other side of your door. ;)

Collecting hand luggage? Shocking disregard for the gravity of the situation. They should be prosecuted.

You cant fix stupid...

I don't know how long it was before the fuel went up, but the port engine was on fire as they went down the chute, so the stupid ones nearly fixed it for everyone.

You cant fix stupid...

I don't know how long it was before the fuel went up, but the port engine was on fire as they went down the chute, so the stupid ones nearly fixed it for everyone.

Exactly, seconds count.

As spacecadet I am usually with my camera taking pictures by the window so this would be a no brainer that I would take it with me.

Would I take pictures and film inside the airplane?

Probably not, survive first, than I would take pictures when outside in safety.

I was in a plane from Emirates in that airport last November by the way

Your OP provides the answer; you get out and don't take photos. You put up a link to a video of the incident, how much was the copyright owner of the footage paid? I don't he/she made millions, I think my survival is more important than free photos or video footage.

I was in a fire in my co-op when I was nine months pregnant. I tried to get my cats for a few minutes, eventually propped the door open for them as the baby inside me's life was the most important thing, and ran out with no coat in the middle of winter and only the quilt I was finishing at the time the flames started pouring into my apartment from the one below, with the thought that I needed to save something for the baby.  But it was already in my hands. Hard to know how you'll react until you're in the situation, and I'm sure that it can change over time, but fire terrifies me and I think I'd just run sans camera. I didn't even try to save anything but my unborn child, and was so lucky the firefighters saved some of my things and my precious cats, but life is more important. I would have probably put myself at greater risk for the cats if it wasn't for the baby. Totally insane to me that people were risking their lives and that of others to get their carry-on bags. But panic does strange things. 

Archived