Alamy chasing infringements - or not ?

In December 2015 and January this year, I was contacted by the Alamy Infringement Team regarding several issues of possible infringements

To date, I have heard nothing more, and on 15th July they contacted me again offering to chase another infringement, asking if I would like them to chase it for me.
If I had pursued the earlier infringements myself I could be many thousands of pounds better off by now, but Alamy have done absolutely nothing for me.
Has anyone else got any comments on this ?

The timeline between Alamy notifying of a possible infringement and actually seeing a result is many months in my experience. 

That's assuming they get a positive result with every infringement that they chase.

Regards

Craig

Yep, they are very slow. It's now almost 12 months since I alerted then to some infringements. Member Services have repeatedly assured me they are working on them. After my latest chase they have said they have a backlog but hope to get back to me with an update within a few days. They have thanked my for my patience. 

Yep, they are very slow. It's now almost 12 months since I alerted then to some infringements. Member Services have repeatedly assured me they are working on them. After my latest chase they have said they have a backlog but hope to get back to me with an update within a few days. They have thanked my for my patience. 

That will buy you a new camera. NOT! :angry:

Allan

I may wrong about this but from past experience I believe Alamy hands over the chasing of the infringer to an outside agency who take their cut of any infringement payout.  

I also think Alamy take a cut of what is left for simply handing over the job to someone else. 

The photographer gets the remainder - which ends up as peanuts.  

You could always chase the infringer yourself - which is very very time consuming, but can result in a far, far better financial return.

Gordon

I may wrong about this but from past experience I believe Alamy hands over the chasing of the infringer to an outside agency who take their cut of any infringement payout.  

I also think Alamy take a cut of what is left for simply handing over the job to someone else. 

You could always chase the infringer yourself - which is very very time consuming, but can result in a far, far better financial return.

Gordon

Some external agencies will bounce you back to Alamy if they know an image is for license here.  If Alamy don't want to take on the job, then - and only then - will they will pursue it for you.  If you are able to pursue it yourself, then yes, if successful a higher return will most likely result.

Gordon

Some external agencies will bounce you back to Alamy if they know an image is for license here.  If Alamy don't want to take on the job, then - and only then - will they will pursue it for you.  If you are able to pursue it yourself, then yes, if successful a higher return will most likely result.

I think you may be misunderstanding my reference to 'an outside agency' - Alamy does not do the chasing - Alamy hands the chasing to another body/agency/whatever.

Gordon

I think you may be misunderstanding my reference to 'an outside agency' - Alamy does not do the chasing - Alamy hands the chasing to another body/agency/whatever.

Nope, I understand you fully.

My reference to 'external agencies' was probably a little confusing.  I meant other organisations whose main or sole function is to chase up image infringements.  One such organisation has been waiting to chase up an infringement for me for nearly a year - but they wouldn't touch it until Alamy (via the organisation that Alamy use) had confirmed that they were unwilling to pursue the infringement.  I'm still waiting for Alamy (through their 'agent') to confirm that they don't want to chase it up.  I feel like I'll be dead & gone before anything happens. :angry:

Have just found my first "infringement" payment on my statement - $33 - which is frankly absurd. For a few hours of my PA's time we could have netted at least £500 for that one. I shall be chasing myself in future !

Would you care to share advice on how you recommend doing this?

I've tried pursuing several infringements, twice by myself, and once by ImageRights. The images were swiftly removed but I never received any payment. My latest infringements are supposedly being pursued by Alamy, but it's taking forever.

Have just found my first "infringement" payment on my statement - $33 - which is frankly absurd. For a few hours of my PA's time we could have netted at least £500 for that one. I shall be chasing myself in future !

Would you care to share advice on how you recommend doing this?

I've tried pursuing several infringements, twice by myself, and once by ImageRights. The images were swiftly removed but I never received any payment. My latest infringements are supposedly being pursued by Alamy, but it's taking forever.

In England, IPEC small claims. The threat of it is often enough.

Archived