Last two uploads rejected

If both uploads were QCed at the same time, possibly only the one image that the inspector looked at was considered at fault. If you don't post the alleged offending image, no one will be able to give you an opinion.

For what it's worth, very few images that have failed Alamy QC have not had a problem that almost everyone agreed with. SoLD was a very common reason at one time, but one which has not come up very often since Alamy stopped requiring up-rezzing.

Have a really close look at the image that QC gave a reason for failing and see if you can find what the inspector noted. Or post the image on the Forum...you'll certainly get lots of reaction, but maybe not what you want to hear.

Dave

Very happy for constructive criticism it was 2 different uploads not on the same day a similar image which was accept is DA114G, cant figure out how to put a image on the forum , thanks and appreciate your replies

Paul

If you want to show us you'll need to post a 100% crop somewhere else - your website, Flickr? Then give us a link.

It's probably worth doing. "Soft and lacking definition" often seems to refer to processing problems rather than focussing issues.

Thanks for posting the image that failed

It is frustrating to get a fail. Glad that you learned from it. You're not alone; most of us have gotten a bit rushed and sloppy at times...28 days in time-out is a great incentive to slow down once in a while to pass QC.

Check over your other images carefully. Alamy QC only checks a sample of your submission and don't react kindly to a re-submission that has another faulty image.

Dave

I have to say that crop doesn't look very soft to me. I'm surprised that failed - maybe the foreground is worse.

It doesn't look bad to me either. I've had two "soft and lacking definition" failures this year. I'm reasonably sure that both of the images in question would have passed QC a couple of years ago.

OK, when I click the second link I get an image that is labelled  "100%" crop. When I click that image it is enlarged further and that is also labelled "100% crop". Which is the 100% crop? The smaller one is IMO fine. I'm pretty sure I've uploaded stuff like that.  The second, larger version is very soft.

It looks soft to me, especially when I got the full screen in the flickr slide show mode.  As Paul reported, the aperture setting is wrong for the shot.  

I took a quick look at some of the other images on the flickr account, very nice!

This is really strange. Looking at your EXIF info, your failed image was shot at 1/2000 sec, f 5.0 at 24 mm - yet I can't see anything that is in sharp focus. It would seem more likely to me that your camera was somehow put into manual mode for that shot. The next shot of basically the same scene but at 70 mm and the same f 5 is tack sharp at 100%. Even at f 5, with Nikon's excellent autofocus on the D700, something should have been sharp in the failed image, especially when the shutter speed is so quick.

Dave

I have got to agree at 100% it looks like there is nothing really in focus so I can see why it would fail QC. But I hope the weather is as good in bournemouth next week when myself and the wife ride down on our bike's ( motorised not peddle )

It's not OOF; it's soft because of heat haze. JMHO.

You may very well be right, Russel. Could also just be out of focus, though. That's why one should take a number of images of the same and think once more before taking the last shot.

But then the image should have been dumped before upload, but this is quite obvious afterwards. We all know how it can happen once in a while, though we normally take good care.

Sometimes there is a lot of talk about focus - that nearly everything in the image should be in focus. (Impossible). I have never had a failure in this respect (A wider DOF). As long as the obvious object is totally in focus / sharp it should be okay. (Of course the obvious point can always be discussed - but I think that Alamy is normally able to see good ideas in this respect). Landscape photos, however, need a somewhat wider DOF, but nothing to be so nervous about.

I can't claim to know the reason, but I do have to say that the 100% crop on MY screen DOES absolutely look soft (I have a PhD in SoLD before anyone starts arguing!). Maybe heat haze and/or aperture but SoLD it is.

nj

Afterthought - it does look a bit like the stabiliser was on and the camera was tripod mounted??

Archived