how to change pricing to $$$

A lot of websites are clever enough to know where in the world you are physically  based on your IP address.

Your IP address is provided by your Internet Service Provider. So short of physically moving to America and buying Internet form an American ISP or messing about with VPNs (compute networking stuff), you probably can't.

Bit of a tangent.. this actually causes me issues when I am on the network at work. My company's corporate network connects to the Internet in Amsterdam. This means that even though I am British and am physically in the UK, I sometimes get the dutch version of websites when looking for things from work which isn't helpful given as I don't speak Dutch!

Yes a site that sells images online should be smart enough to change the currency. I know that another big boy site sells my images and whenever I am in a different country the images are for sale in the local currency. As a buyer, I would actually find this method at Alamy to be a hindrance to purchase an image rather than a facilitator to purchase an image.

On that note, I just searched for an image while logged out of Alamy, and the prices appear in $$$, but when I login, the pricing appears in GBP. Any suggestions on how to switch this?

On that note, I just searched for an image while logged out of Alamy, and the prices appear in $$$, but when I login, the pricing appears in GBP. Any suggestions on how to switch this?

This would suggest that it uses your account settings if you are logged in... your account presumably contains a UK address? If it contained an address in the US, might it switch to dollars?

Yes a site that sells images online should be smart enough to change the currency. I know that another big boy site sells my images and whenever I am in a different country the images are for sale in the local currency. As a buyer, I would actually find this method at Alamy to be a hindrance to purchase an image rather than a facilitator to purchase an image.

Maybe it's also based on the currency Alamy accepts. It would be misleading to display prices in various currencies they don't accept.

Anyone who is unsure of the exchange rate can look it up on the internet. When I use my credit card to buy items in euros my bank automatically deducts the amount of US dollars from my account.

When I license photos directly I bill in US dollars to guarantee the amount I'll receive regardless of currency fluctuations.

Whenever I look at an image and pricing it is set as a default to British Pounds. How do I switch that to USD as a default.

go to this link and change to one of the available currencies :)  

Archived