Location? Am I going mad/confused.

Today I knew I had to remove a place name from the keywords in some of my images in the Caption, essential, main and comprehensive sections. These images were coming up in searches not relevant to the place name.

Started to remove the wording in MI and found that there were some images appearing which did not have the place name in the cap, ess, main and comp sections and were not relevant to the search term either.

On checking I found the place name in the "Location" field.

So, as MI was searching the location field for this place name, I move over to Alamy search and searched for that place under my pseudos in the advanced search. Sure enough the images were appearing in the Alamy search as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe we were told that the "Location" field was no longer searchable?

This makes a bit of a mockery of my work in removing the unwanted place name form the other "searchable" fields.

Allan

Hello Allan. You are correct, the location field is not searchable any more. I've tested a couple of my images and the location, which only appears in the Location field, is not being found by the search.  

Hard to know what to speculate here, if you are absolutely sure the search term does not appear in any of the keyword or the caption fields, unless they have been amended very recently and the index has not updated.  I'll carry on and look at some more examples, but on the face of it Alamy search is treating the Location field correctly. :wacko:

The only thing I would add to my earlier post is that it looks as though search does find places in the Location field when you search through 'Manage My Images'. However, searching using 'Alamy Search', even with advanced and using my own pseudo, the Location field is ignored.

Have a closer look at the rogue images and see if you've missed something in one of the searchable fields. Or if you like, post the image number and location and we can see if the problem is replicated by other users.

The only thing I would add to my earlier post is that it looks as though search does find places in the Location field when you search through 'Manage My Images'. However, searching using 'Alamy Search', even with advanced and using my own pseudo, the Location field is ignored.

Which sounds quite logical, in fact. In most cases (but not in Allan's)  it'll be an advantage that images in MI can be searched by the location field.

My understanding is that the location field is no longer searchable through the normal Alamy search engine but IS searchable in Manage Images (so that we can find out own images). Alamy made the location field unsearchable quite a while ago because contributors were putting the location for studio shots etc which is not necessarily what a buyer wants.  I think it happened after the Creative tab was introduced.

Pearl

pseudos are no longer searchable (shame as some of mine were helped by being searchable)

but location was not changed as far as I know

Hello Paul it is still possible to search pseudos but only through the advanced search.

If you enter a search term in the Alamy search box and when that page comes up go to the right and click on advanced search. In the drop down box it is possible to input the photographers name but if you put in a pseudo it will search that too. I have done this today.

Allan

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe we were told that the "Location" field was no longer searchable?

Easy to check - create a unique nonsense word, such as a random jumble of letters and/or numbers, place it in the location field of one image, wait 24 hours then search for it.

Archived