I remember when Fuji shooters were eagerly awaiting the Chrome setting, either in camera jpegs or software for Raw.

Now that it's been available for awhile, how many of you use it, and for what subjects?

For myself, sometimes I used it for people, but mostly subjects that seem to oversaturate while using contrast and other normal development panels. Subjects such as oranges and apples. I know a lot of you prefer a lot of saturation so the thumbnails stand out.

I don't like the color shift on skies, so seldom use it if the sky takes up very much of the image.

Often it takes a bit too much saturation out in some subjects, so I go back to first panel and add a bit of Vibrance back in.

No, I'm not defeating the purpose in my opinion, but making a slight tweak.

How do you use it?

I'm thinking there have to be some buyers out there that prefer more realistic-looking colors instead of oversaturated ones.

What do you think?

Betty

I rarely use the film simulations as I mostly shoot raw except for news (raw+jpg). I then use standard colour for OOC jpgs, might try soft in very contrasty light—I aim to keep news as straightforward as possible.

I very occasionally use a B&W simulation when I want a B&W final image. I use it to give a sense of how it will look like as monochrome in the viewfinder but of course the raw is still actually colour, only in camera/embedded preview is B&W. C1Pro shows a colour preview from raw whatever.

I do all adjustment in C1Pro and apart from the supplied generic styles I have created one or two of my own for particular purposes/projects.

I often use the Astia setting although sometimes, it can be a touch too strong and with a bias towards yellow. If this is the case and the subject suits, I will open the RAW and select chrome and see how it looks, as in this example…..

man-blows-billowing-clouds-of-vapour-whi

I quite like chrome but haven't used it much. That reminds me, I managed to get a hold of C1 Pro Fuji Film profiles that can be used on raw files rather than their jpgs. A quick renaming of the profiles and you can use them with any Camera  :D

If you haven't seen them, check out this link for them.

I'd forgotten I had got them :)

I quite like chrome but haven't used it much. That reminds me, I managed to get a hold of C1 Pro Fuji Film profiles that can be used on raw files rather than their jpgs. A quick renaming of the profiles and you can use them with any Camera  :D

If you haven't seen them, check out this link for them.

I'd forgotten I had got them :)

:D They're very good profiles as well, look almost identical to the in camera ones and you keep all the fine detail in raw

I always shoot Raw and only on certain images do I try the different simulations. I don't think I have ever shot a JPEG on my T1. The simulations are available in LR and PS CC. Most of the time I used Standard. Every so often something really looks nice in Classic Chrome. Like Martyn's image.

I shoot RAW and often add film simulation in Silkypix. Lately I've taken up using Lightroom some of the time, because it's better for dealing with fringing in some cases, but set it to open the image in Silkypix after it's done. Sometimes I'll process the image once as Velvia and a second time as Astia, layer them and erase through the Velvia for skin tones if they appear too red in the Velvia version.

I shoot RAW and often add film simulation in Silkypix. Lately I've taken up using Lightroom some of the time, because it's better for dealing with fringing in some cases, but set it to open the image in Silkypix after it's done. Sometimes I'll process the image once as Velvia and a second time as Astia, layer them and erase through the Velvia for skin tones if they appear too red in the Velvia version.

Isn't layering great? I have used layers a lot.

Yes I have been using it in C1Pro for a while now, fairly simple applications so far.

Just as an aside. I have finally done the deed and got rid of all my non-Fuji equipment.The story so far: I am now purely a Fuji shooter, everything else has gone. It is actually quite a relief, I should have done it a year ago.

I remember when Photoshop first got layers 20 years ago, with version 2.5. What a revelation it was! Other version changes seem pretty minor compared to that one.

Yes I have been using it in C1Pro for a while now, fairly simple applications so far.

Just as an aside. I have finally done the deed and got rid of all my non-Fuji equipment.The story so far: I am now purely a Fuji shooter, everything else has gone. It is actually quite a relief, I should have done it a year ago.

I'm working on that, too. I've sold 3 Nikon lenses, two to go, some interest there. A guy is supposed to raise the money for my D800 this week with another in the wings if that should fall through. With only 8078 actuations, it'll go. But I do have my Sony RX100 & RX100-3, I shall keep those.

My 100-400 Fuji zoom arrived late today. I only managed a handful of shots. Heavy overcast, evening encroaching, high wind that made everything bounce. Yet I got a few really sharp images hand held. The OIS is amazing. Put on my monopod, my usual method for my birding lenses, I should be good to go. The lens is a beast, but not as heavy as the Nikon.

Weather is going to be lousy all week, though, so don't know how much testing I'll do. :(

Archived