Invalid date

So I'm in Manage Images prepping my first image for sale.  Get all the keywords distributed, push "save" and I get a box saying "invalid date".  Which the date showing is 26-08-15.  So I remove the month and day, since we can only give the year if we want to.  I get the invalid date again.

I go back into Photoshop to check the date I took the image.  It is 26-08-15.  Go back to Manage images and put it in again, and get invalid date.  Delete all 3 boxes, hit save again, get invalid date.

Close out the browser, (Safari) and open Alamy in Firefox.  It didn't fix the problem.  

I tried a completely different image, and it didn't work, either.

What to do?  I have 71 images I'd like to get on sale, but looks like I'm locked out.

Betty

edited to add.  I was using the old version of Manage Images.

I went back and used the new version.  Funny thing happened.  "Save" worked.  I don't like the new version, except for searching through, which I love that ability.  I always prep in the old version where highlighting and moving works like a charm. Plus copy/paste to similar images is much easier, since they are on the same page.  If I have to do 71 images in the new version I'm going to be steamed. 

I just tried using your date: 26 08 2015

Nothing special happened. I was allowed to save it without any error message.

I don't understand why you have to fill it in though. Normally it is populated from the metadata the camera has added to your file at the moment of the shot.

wim

Wim, I didn't have to fill the date in. It was populated with the correct date, but the system tells me it's invalid and won't let me save my changes after splitting keywords in the boxes and the rest of it.

Not just one image but random images out of the 71 ready to prep.

It's just that out of desperation, I begin playing with the dates (nothing worked) trying to find something that would be accepted.

The dates are accepted in the latest Manage Images, just not with the old one that I prefer.

Ahh yes I missed the Old vs New edit of yours. Sorry my bad.

With me the whole More Options page does not work in Firefox. However the 30 images a page do work, and you can even set that to 1 image, if I remember correctly. In that page it should work. I now use Chrome for the more options page.

Ok I have now tested your wrong date and it's been accepted in Firefox and Manage 1.0 set to 1 and to 30 images. Have only tested 1 image though. Changed it back and that went ok also.

The test in Chrome plus Manage 1.0 in the More Options or Edit Image page worked as well. Changing back and forth and saving all went without a hitch.

wim

Do the images that are rejected have different dates to all the images that are accepted? If not maybe it's a rogue error message. It's not uncommon for a software developer not to test that each error message appears with the correct error they are designed to warn about. Is it possible that the invalid date message is being displayed because there's actually something else wrong? Too many charcters in a keyword box, attributes not set correctly?

Other than that, have you checked your system date/time settings to make sure there's nothing wrong there? It might be that Manage Images uses the regional settings to determine how dates are entered and displayed? I seem to recall there are some reports of system software updates messing up the regional settings? Can't remember if that was Windows or Mac OS-X updates though.

Mark

Do the images that are rejected have different dates to all the images that are accepted? If not maybe it's a rogue error message. It's not uncommon for a software developer not to test that each error message appears with the correct error they are designed to warn about. Is it possible that the invalid date message is being displayed because there's actually something else wrong? Too many charcters in a keyword box, attributes not set correctly?

Other than that, have you checked your system date/time settings to make sure there's nothing wrong there? It might be that Manage Images uses the regional settings to determine how dates are entered and displayed? I seem to recall there are some reports of system software updates messing up the regional settings? Can't remember if that was Windows or Mac OS-X updates though.

Mark

Mark, all of my fields have under the limit of keywords. The 71 images approved do have varying dates. All show up populated correctly. I checked the dates in PS to be sure. It doesn't matter which image I choose, with which date. None are accepted.

Seems to be a mass shutout of them all, not just ones with a particular date.

Yet when I take them over to manage Images 2, they go through perfectly. So it's not what I'm doing, but a glitch in version 1.

At least I can do them in 2, so all is not lost. I have always used Version 1. Images are on the same page, so copy/paste is simpler. I use version 2 only when I do image searches, if I want to tweak keywords of a particular set. Love 2 for that. I never do my key wording in Manage Images. I do them in Bridge, so they arrive with everything in Comprehensive.

Mark

Mark, all of my fields have under the limit of keywords. The 71 images approved do have varying dates. All show up populated correctly. I checked the dates in PS to be sure. It doesn't matter which image I choose, with which date. None are accepted.

Seems to be a mass shutout of them all, not just ones with a particular date.

Yet when I take them over to manage Images 2, they go through perfectly. So it's not what I'm doing, but a glitch in version 1.

At least I can do them in 2, so all is not lost. I have always used Version 1. Images are on the same page, so copy/paste is simpler. I use version 2 only when I do image searches, if I want to tweak keywords of a particular set. Love 2 for that. I never do my key wording in Manage Images. I do them in Bridge, so they arrive with everything in Comprehensive.

I will check regional settings on my computer! :)

I think I have inadvertently discovered my problem. On another thread, two flash-based apps were mentioned that allows keywording on the iPad.
I bought Photon, and tried it out a few minutes ago.
Hallelujah, it allows me to access Manage Images on my iPad. You know how in version one there is a button for "is this a cutout?"
Yet that button isn't available in version 2? Of course I just worked up a bunch in version 2.
So in trying out the app, I open version 1. There's all these yellow notices saying I need to press that button.

After working my images up for sale in version 2, I went back to see, since those images were already in the "ready" mode, if I could press that one button and Save. I got the Invalid date warning again.
So in Photon, I tried the button, hit Save, and it went through.

Surely it has to be a Flash problem, don't you think? I'm not technical, so I'm just feeling around in the dark, here. But it works under the Flash based Photon, but not the way it's been working forever using Safari or Firefox.
I, for one, will be glad when Alamy pitches Flash on the garbage pile. I'm reading its life may end once and for all in 2017.
Is there something I can do to fix Flash in Manage 1 or am I all wet, here?

I downloaded Chrome and version 1 works.  Went back to Safari, and it is working, too.  Beats me what went on.  ARGGGGH!

Manage 1 is not at all Flash based. Nothing to do with it. Plain HTML and some Javascript.

So not a Flash problem.

Then what was it? Who knows. Macs never break ;-)

wim

Careful there, Wim, you're stepping on my toes!

If version one isn't Flash based, then why can't we iPad users access it? Edit typo

Manage 1 is not at all Flash based. Nothing to do with it. Plain HTML and some Javascript.

So not a Flash problem.

Then what was it? Who knows. Macs never break ;-)

wim

Careful there, Wim, you're stepping on my toes!

If version one isn't Flash based, then why can't we iPad users access it? Edit typo

It should just work on an iPad. However I have never tried. I should.

Unfortunately I don't have the access code of my wife's iPad, so no test at this moment ;-)

You know what the consequences are when the machines or programs have no faults: then it's us.

So luckily when I ran that lab (not on my own) with PC's, Macs and Unix machines all connected: they all broke down once in a while.

Except the Silicon Graphics machines. We even used an Indigo as a server; it may well still be running today ;-)

The Indigo was what they used to make Jurassic Park. Ours had been used to design airplanes.

So no idea. Does it display the page at all? Does it generate some error message? Or is it the same problem I'm having in Firefox that it just won't work because almost all links don't work? Simple test: if you type in a keyword box, does the counter work?

wim

The message on my iPad is:

Alternate HTML content should be placed here. This content requires the Adobe Flash player.

I learned early on I couldn't access Manage Images. But I'd hit it by mistake once in awhile and was always shut out. Although everything else to do with Alamy was accessible with this exception. If I made a sale and clicked on the image to enlarge it, I got the error message.

But if I click on my blue image count in the forums, I can enlarge my images or anyone else's, as I can also enlarge any type of regular image search in the search bar.

Stranger and stranger. But then to bolster my viewpoint, someone recently asked in another thread about being able to keyword on an IOS device and two apps were suggested. That's how I found out, bought and am now using one of them on my iPad.

So this problem is not unique to my particular iPad.

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/5307-keywording-on-ipad/

Archived