As age creeps up on me and the temperatures here continue to rise, I'm considering turning to table top/studio product shooting. My question is, which is the preferred backdrop for the buyers - white or black. Personally I love black, especially with a black acrylic base, but do the buyers?

What's you view/opinion/experience?

Thanks for any help.

Absolutely it should be black...well only if you can go back in a time machine to the 1980s... :lol:

White for the simple reason that pages of print are.... (insert colour here).

Why not shoot two versions, one with a black background and one with a white background, and let the buyer decide.

This is, of course, the logical answer and is probably the route I'll take. Roulette ?

Why not shoot two versions, one with a black background and one with a white background, and let the buyer decide.

This is, of course, the logical answer and is probably the route I'll take. Roulette ?

Red and black, surely? :)

Nice website there Geoff. I could happily live in those homes - if only!

White it is then, along with the other millions!

Thanks, TBH having shot a lot, I mean a whole lot, of them....there have only been a handful that I would like to live in (mainly ones with great outbuildings...I mean who doesn't want a 60 foot long industrial barn!!).

There are a few reasons for white, firstly it's easy to put in to print if the subject can be cut out. You don't get colour contamination and you do (hopefully) get fairly good lifted shadows which make the same task easier.

I shot a load of named orchids on black in the 80s/90s and whilst they sold well (and still produce sales) - a DK book (IIRC) on orchids with white b/g just killed the market for them. The book was a revelation and things have not changed much.

Archived