Can anybody help with the correct ID of this dragonfly, please?  I thought it would be easy to identify but the world of flying things is more complex than I realised  :)

It is in a domestic garden in Gloucester (UK) towards the end of August 2015. It spent about 10 minutes in the garden, mostly posing on this washing line.

dragonfly-perched-on-a-washing-line-in-a

It's definitely a female darter, but those black markings on the abdomen are confusing me. It looks a bit like a highland darter - but they aren't exactly common in Gloucestershire.

I'd go with female common darter (striolatum) with more pronounced than usual markings.

Thanks everybody, Philippe especially. A closer look at the original photo shows the black line between the eyes stopping at the eyes and not running down - i.e.a common darter.

I think I'll stick to the ID of British steam locomotives in future, it is so much easier.  :)

Thanks everybody, Philippe especially. A closer look at the original photo shows the black line between the eyes stopping at the eyes and not running down - i.e.a common darter.

I think I'll stick to the ID of British steam locomotives in future, it is so much easier.  :)

I find steam locos sell better than dragonflies on Alamy anyway - though I do prefer photographing insects.

Archived