Now that Location is no longer to be incuded in buyers searches I need to check keywords on all my images in case location has to be added.

If location was an important part of the description I usually (but not always) put it in the caption or keywords.

I am now going through all my images checking if changes are needed.  

I am now at the end of page 10 of 134 and finding it a little tedious.

Has anyone any ideas how to make this easier?

I've some really good ideas on how to do this but, unfortunately, Alamy does not share them. An "amend" option in batch processing, for instance. Or even, the nuclear "go back to using location in searches" option.

So the best I can offer is to cut and paste the location details in the captions/keywords en masse for each location, rather than going sequentially by pressing "Next Image". This likely means that there'll be lots of saving changes and closing and re-opening of the image details box as you spot locations in your thumbnails. You need to be diligent not to miss any but it should be less tedious.

The other option that immediately comes to mind is to do it with a large glass of Shiraz and an early vintage Stranglers album on repeat in the background. But that may just be me.

It had not occurred to me that I can search "Location" even if buyers cannot.   As you say it would involve a lot of "Cut and Paste" to use it.

It would have to be done very carefully as the purpose of all this is to leave out locations where they do not matter.

I am now at page 17, but have speeded up the process by scanning through the thumbnails on each page and only opening those that might need changing rather than each sequentially.

The number that need changing is only about 10% so maybe not worth bothering....

Yes Peter, I think most of us are in the same boat. Fortunately I don't have as many as some.

Thanks for that tip Russell.

Allan

I have to say that I am pleased on both counts on the searches - Locations and psuedos.

I have always tended to repeat the location in the keywords anyway if I felt it was relevant (mainly as I hadn't realised location was searchable!). But was a bit surprised to see a hit recently on "London Sheep" come up with a countryside sheep pic that I had inadvertently put as "London" in the location.

Although I have changed some of my pseudos recently, I did get some spurious hits based on my old ones so glad to see that separated out as well. I raised it as a issue when this forum started so nice to see action being taken so quickly :)  Cheers Alamy!

Yes Peter, I think most of us are in the same boat. Fortunately I don't have as many as some.

Allan

You're welcome.

(I take it that you mean the "search locations" tip rather than the "Shiraz and late 70's New Wave" tip).

Allan

You're welcome.

(I take it that you mean the "search locations" tip rather than the "Shiraz and late 70's New Wave" tip).

I'm more of a single malt man myself, and a bit of light classical. :)

Allan

I've always included the location in my keywords, when it was important to the subject. More recently I replaced the location on some food images with "studio." 

But, Peter---has there been some recent change I'm unaware of?  This is what Alamy has posted: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp 

It says the weight of Location is "Low" in a search. Low, not disregarded.  Hmm  

Check out this blog, Ed. Lots of tedious work to get it all right. I always have the location in the caption if it is important but the caption has a very low weight so I am looking to check my keywords on a lot of my images. It's a good change, I think, but every time they change something like this it causes some back-pedaling.

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2013/06/12/5376.aspx

Paulette

Thanks so much, Paulette! You get a green ticket for that—don't try to stop me. 

I confess to having an aversion to reading James' Blog because he should be calling it James's Blog, and I find his mod styling an abomination. 

Archived