Ed Rooney

Large Street Murals?

pedestrians-blend-into-a-giant-mural-of-

This is in Portsmouth, England.  The mural depicts a map of Portsea island and people from Portsmouth's history . The man in the running gear with a shopping bag is not part of the mural, he had just completed a half marathon and obviously still had the energy to pick up some groceries on the way home.

To make the images smaller, copy the image link as per usual and then when pasting the link into the image field on the forum go to the link text and replace the word "comp" with the word "zooms". So in the case of my above image the address was

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/EA07X4/pedestrians-blend-into-a-giant-mural-of-portsmouth-characters-with-EA07X4.jpg

and I changed it to 

http://c7.alamy.com/zooms/EA07X4/pedestrians-blend-into-a-giant-mural-of-portsmouth-characters-with-EA07X4.jpg (my bold text in both links)

Hope that helps :-)

Edited by Simon Evans

I've noticed that some of the more recent street murals in my area have a commercial purpose -- how predictable, inevitable, and depressing. The one below showed up last week as a Bowie tribute . . . but it's advertising a restaurant around the corner.

vj-max-mural-of-david-bowie-aladdin-sane

http://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?&n=NaN&imageid={9ACB2CCF-DD72-4F43-95BF-96CC2219D96B}

I found this beautiful one in Madrid, but there are beautiful examples of large murals all over Spain. 

Like these ones in Malaga, (Spain), people like to call it now the Soho district of Malaga.

mural-painting-of-silvestre-santiago-who

mural-painting-by-dface-l-and-roa-r-in-m

mural-paintings-of-d-face-l-en-obey-shep

And a huge one of D Face (l) en Obey Shepard Fairey ®

Found in Cologne, Germany

large-street-mural-cologne-germany-FX8N8

Surely, in most cases, of "Graffiti" or more commonly now "Street Murals" the artist has no permission to dawb paint on someone Else's property! It's vandalism! So by doing so what right have the artists got to complain about copyright and ownership of the "Art"? If the artists deem it legal to paint on someone's property then it must become the property of the property owner!  However, if it weren't for the public at large taking photographs, street artists like Banksie (in the UK) would never be as famous (or infamous) as he/she is now where the street murals afforded to Banksie are copied by photographers and fetch large sums of money.  A lot of Banksie's work are now tourist attractions. On a personal note I like some of Banksie's style of "Graffiti" ;) 

Davey

It seems that, more and more, the cities themselves are hiring street artists to create commissioned work in public areas.

I found this one this week, celebrating SNCF (French railways) just below a railway bridge in Grenoble (France).

graffiti-street-art-in-grenoble-france-u

graffiti-street-art-in-grenoble-france-u

One of the famous Toulousain aviator. I'm yet to license any, though.

mural-of-antoine-de-saint-exupry-avenue-

Or something a bit more famous? Not very new, though.

archive-image-of-graffiti-on-the-remains

Edited by spacecadet

Pontiac, Illinois.

route-66-mural-route-66-museum-pontiac-i

mural-depicting-old-gas-station-and-soda

mural-map-of-route-66-pontiac-illinois-E

street-mural-on-pavement-with-raindrops-