Pseudonym reorganisation - ranking implication

I am looking to reorganise some of my pseudos and was wondering what happens in relation to the zooms and sales for those moved pics. Do they move to the new pseudo or stay with the old?

I seem to remember that there was a thread some time ago saying that they stay with the old pseudo until the next reranking and then move to the new pseudo where they count for ranking until the anniversary of the zoom/sale.

Searched the Forum but couldn't find the reference. Anyone remember?

dov

According to MS you lose all the history of sales and zooms if you transfer to another pseudo. I knew I was doing something wrong!

dov

This is not what I was told by Alan Capel.  He said the zooms and sales history moves with the image.  It won't alter the rank of a pseudo though until the next re-rank.

Pearl

Last year  I condensed my two Alamy accounts into one. I used to have one account for regular photos and one for Reportage since 2 separate accounts was the requirement back when "Reportage" started. I was told by MS at the time that the ranking would move with the images - they moved the images into one account for me - but that it would take until the next re-rank for that to occur.

My zooms and rank seemed to drop precipitously afterward but it has now picked up and my zooms are back to normal and sales are better than they've been in years. Doing that BHZ thing still shows my photos all clumped together despite the fact that I have a couple of good pseudos and a couple of bad ones, so I'm not really sure what's going on, but the upswing in sales and the fact that broad searches show my best sellers from the other account on page one of searches makes me think that those photos found their place. That wasn't the case initially and for a time I was really regretting the move, but now I'm glad it's simplified. 

Stock is such a long-term thing that it may be worth it even if you have up to three months where things sit -- given that the summer is often slow, this could be an okay time to make the change. I'm not sure when the next re-rank is but if it's September, your timing could be pretty good. 

Here is a copy of the email I received from Alamy - it surprised me, but it is unambiguous.

In subsequent correspondence they offered to implement my renaming for me.

To: 
Sent: Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 12:03
Subject: RE: Ranking when pseudonyms change

Hi 

The view, zooms and sales history of your old pseudonym will go away when you move your images to a new one. When a new pseudonym is created it is given median rank until enough data is collected.  The new rank will be based on the data the images have collected and the re-ranking happens after 300 days.

It won’t be possible to rename a pseudonym, you’ll have to create a new one. 

Hope this helps. 

Jaideep

Member Services

dov

Here is a copy of the email I received from Alamy - it surprised me, but it is unambiguous.

To: 

Sent: Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 12:03

Subject: RE: Ranking when pseudonyms change

Hi 

The view, zooms and sales history of your old pseudonym will go away when you move your images to a new one. When a new pseudonym is created it is given median rank until enough data is collected.  The new rank will be based on the data the images have collected and the re-ranking happens after 300 days.

Hope this helps. 

Jaideep

Member Services

dov

Yes of course the pseudonym loses the history because it moves with the images to the new pseudo but you implied that the zooms and sales history were lost altogether.

Pearl

I'm interested in the comment from Alamy that the re-ranking happens after 300 days. I thought re-ranking was roughly every 100 days or so. Or are they saying a re-rank for a new pseudo is after 300 days? Or is it a slip of the keyboard in their reply?

I'm interested in the comment from Alamy that the re-ranking happens after 300 days. I thought re-ranking was roughly every 100 days or so. Or are they saying a re-rank for a new pseudo is after 300 days? Or is it a slip of the keyboard in their reply?

Every 100 days with data from 300 days.

wim

To:

Sent: Wednesday, 22 July 2015, 12:03

Subject: RE: Ranking when pseudonyms change

Hi

The view, zooms and sales history of your old pseudonym will go away when you move your images to a new one. When a new pseudonym is created it is given median rank until enough data is collected. The new rank will be based on the data the images have collected and the re-ranking happens after 300 days.

Hope this helps.

Jaideep

Member Services

dov

Yes of course the pseudonym loses the history because it moves with the images to the new pseudo but you implied that the zooms and sales history were lost altogether.

Pearl

AFAIK the history of the image will not count towards the new pseudo in case you were wondering.

Jaideep is right.

The history will remain in the Summary of items sold and in the Net Revenue however. Not in your Pseudonym Summary.

As an aside: a new (April 15) pseudonym with 1 image with 8 views; no zooms and 1 sale will not move from median rank. Not in B*z nor in real searches.

I wonder what will.

wim

edit: I could not even find the image for the real search. after 40 pages @120 the search engine got tired of me and responded with Sorry, but we couldn’t find any matches. Is that normal? Do clients never get beyond 40 pages? There are 367 pages for this keyword (Seville).

We have just had another reranking - sure it has been a lot less than 100 days since the last one.

dov

The last re-rank was June 13.  So that's less than 50 days.

BTW, thanks to all for highlighting the re-rank.  Even those in the locked thread (why lock a useful service?).

My take also confirms that sales history for rank purposes is deleted when an image is moved to a new pseudonym.  Could Alan Capel have been talking about future plans?

To:

Hi

The view, zooms and sales history of your old pseudonym will go away when you move your images to a new one. When a new pseudonym is created it is given median rank until enough data is collected. The new rank will be based on the data the images have collected and the re-ranking happens after 300 days.

Hope this helps.

Jaideep

Member Services

dov

Pearl

AFAIK the history of the image will not count towards the new pseudo in case you were wondering.

Jaideep is right.

The history will remain in the Summary of items sold and in the Net Revenue however. Not in your Pseudonym Summary.

As an aside: a new (April 15) pseudonym with 1 image with 8 views; no zooms and 1 sale will not move from median rank. Not in B*z nor in real searches.

I wonder what will.

wim

edit: I could not even find the image for the real search. after 40 pages @120 the search engine got tired of me and responded with Sorry, but we couldn’t find any matches. Is that normal? Do clients never get beyond 40 pages? There are 367 pages for this keyword (Seville).

This is what I was also told in 2010

"Hi Pearl,

Thanks for your email. 

When you move the image that has sales history, to another pseudonym,

the sales information also moves with the images. Basically, sales

history is linked to an individual image. 

Please feel free to get back to me in case you need any further

assistance. 

Kind Regards

Ranjith

Member Services"

Pearl, I wonder if MS meant that sales stats and information follows an image regardless of pseudo, as Wim said. 

BUT, I don't think stats on views, zooms and sales for the purpose of rank follows an image around.

To:

Hi

Hope this helps.

Jaideep

Member Services

dov

Pearl

Jaideep is right.

I wonder what will.

wim

"Hi Pearl,

Thanks for your email. 

assistance. 

Kind Regards

Ranjith

Member Services"

Thanks Pearl

This is exactly what I had thought the situation to be.

dov

To:

Hi

Hope this helps.

Jaideep

Member Services

dov

Pearl

Jaideep is right.

I wonder what will.

wim

"Hi Pearl,

Thanks for your email. 

assistance. 

Kind Regards

Ranjith

Member Services"

Thanks Pearl

This is exactly what I had thought the situation to be.

dov

How could it be otherwise?  Sales history disappearing after moving to a new pseudo doesn't make sense.  It's clear that our spreadsheets remain intact, no matter the pseudo placement.

BUT, the history of sales, views, zooms and such for individual images does not contribute towards the rank of a new pseudonym when these images are moved.  This history is lost.

I have written to MS to clarify as there are two emails from Alamy which are in direct contradiction to each other.

dov

The email I have quoted above says the same as Alan Capel told me on the phone several years ago. It will be interesting to see what they say now but I'm not always sure that MS always understand the question.  

Pearl

We now have a definitive response from Alamy - see copy email below

Hi 

New pseudonyms are given a median rank until we have 300 days activity to recalculate. In any case it’s a temporary alteration, once the rank for your new pseudonym is calculated after 100 days the old rank for your image returns to the new pseudonym. 

So basically if we move an image ‘Apple’ in the pseudonym A to a new pseudonym B, after 100 days the ranking will be calculated on the basis of 300 days of data(this includes the time when the image was in A). 

Thanks

Jaideep

Member Services

I think that it makes more sense to me now.

dov

So pretty much what I was told then, that the sales and zooms history moves with the image to the new pseudo but doesn't make any difference until the next re-rank.

Pearl

Archived