There's talk about it on this thread http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/3900-fujinon-50-140-28-lens/page-3
Betty seems to have a good copy of the lens and likes it a lot. I have no personal experience with it but when I shot on Fuji had good copies of the 18-55 and 55-200 which were nice lenses. However, there does appear to be QC issues with Fuji these days

I have it and it's my go-to stock lens. Click on my images and all of the recent images of businesses (storefronts) were taken with it.

I have no issues. Once in awhile I might see a bit of CA at skyline that is easily dispatched in LR. I've had much more CA with my Nikon and top of line nikon lenses.

I find the images sharp, showing brickwork, shingles and texture just as I want.

I recently got the 50-140, and shot it in a public park. The image of a man and child from behind on a park bench (and others) was shot with that. I love it, too. Good for when you are in space. But the 18-135 is better for tight places and has a handier zoom range.

I have no issues with failures from Fuji lenses.

My failures have come from other cameras, I have several. Some I've been processing from a couple of years ago. Or I miss something stupid like a dust spot on a studio isolation shot with my nikon. My bad, each time, for not catching those. Not equipment failure but human failure. If I struggle with soft and lacking definition, it is usually with a few from the RX100. I thought those were great until I got the X-T1. I shall not give up my 18-135, for sure.

Betty

Another 'thumbs-up' from me for the 18-135mm. Had it for quite a while now and I've rarely used my 18-55mm since (will probably sell it), mainly due to the versatility of the zoom range, good IQ and of course weather sealing. I shoot a lot of historic motorsports and it works well for that with decent focus acquisition speed coupled with an XT1. Lately I've got into the habit of using my Nikon with a longer lens for head-on shots and 'dropping it' on a shoulder harness to then bring up the Fuji with 18-135 to grab some 'side-on' panning shots - even doing that it seems to acquire focus reasonably well. Very good, versatile lens. Not had any problems with any of the Fuji lenses that I own - six in all. 

As I have posted elsewhere I have had problems with my 10-24, 18-135, 55-200 zooms with poor focusing and fuzzy edges. To be fair to Fuji they returned them in v.good working order after sending them for attention.

Two of the lenses were within warranty period. The lens outside of the warranty period caused some problems but Fuji came up with the goods in the end, even refunding the fee I had to pay for the repair.

But do not read too much into this as it seems I was unlucky in that I seemed to be the magnet for the bad lenses in this neck of the woods.

I like the 18-135 as a walk around lens on my X-T1 and it gives good results.

Allan

I use this lens a lot and find it very sharp and very versatile for general purpose  stuff.  My only issue is with CA down the edges at the widest focal length.  I'm not actually sure that it is CA but there can be a greenish tinge where there was purple before ticking the "remove CA" box.  Almost as though the CA removal has gone too far.  I have tried lots of different settings to remove it but the only thing that seems to work is a grad filter at +20 for moire.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this and if they have found a solution.

Pearl

I sold my 18-135, wasn't happy with the IQ. That said, my experience with a duff 16-55 lens recently makes me feel I should have returned it and asked for a replacement before selling it. Especially when you see others that were happy with it!

Another alternative is the 18-55 & 55-200 which are both great lenses. But, go for the 18-135 and test the hell out of it within the 1st week and return it for replacement if you are not happy!

As far as returns and replacements go I have been told by my small local supplier that they cannot do this as Fuji have taken away their direct supply. As a consequence my local shop can only source Fuji products from 3rd party suppliers.     (This is also the case with Canon products.)

This causes them problems in that they cannot obtain the credit terms that Fuji direct used to offer.

This is further compounded in that only 28 days credit is given to the small shop by the 3rd party supplier and the shop cannot always meet the payment date as goods may not have sold in that time.

So the local shop can only hold smaller stock. Anything placed on order by the customer has to be paid for and returns are not a practical proposition due to cash flow.

I believe this 28 day limit is enforced by the insurance underrighters. If that is the case we have to thank the insurance companies for the demise of so many small shops and not just photographic establishments either.

On the other hand Nikon has taken the opposite approach and have told small shops that they can source Nikon products direct from Nikon.

Allan

Archived