Tracking the Candidates

Here in the UK there's a General Election coming up.Emails from the Alamy News desk request that we try to submit some shots of our local candidates canvassing, holding hustings and the rest. Especially if a National figure (e.g. Party Leader) comes to support them.

All well and good, until I tried to discover the schedules of my local candidates. They seem to be closely guarded secrets. Nothing on Facebook, Twitter or the Candidate's own webpages. Nothing in the local press and no advertising or announcements.

Is this something specific to my area - a very safe Tory seat where his election is a shoe-in. Or are other Alamy News shooters finding similar difficulties?

My local MP is canvassing regularly here but then I am a party member so I get the emails.

Unless there's a particular issue they don't want ordinary canvasses to turn into press calls.

When I was campaign manager (for myself) the schedules went out only to the local office and the canvassers themselves- one doesn't want the opposition to know  how and where you are concentrating your efforts.

one doesn't want the opposition to know  how and where you are concentrating your efforts.

Thanks Mark, interesting. I gues there's also a security aspect, one doesn't want too many hecklers. I gather that in parts of Scotland there's a lot of bullying going on too.

I had a similar thought but came across the same issue. The only time I saw advanced notice was in the local paper where the sitting MP was hosting a Q & A.

I agree that the stage managing of the events and security aspects are probably the reason.

I wonder if emailing the local party offices might get you on a email notification list?

Michael

well here in Thanet South, we can't move for politicians & media.

We're getting frequent emails/leaflets from David Cameron, Grant Shapps, Craig McKinley & Nigel Farage & Radio 5L are doing a feature here as I type.

It obviously helps to be living in a key marginal !

ann

Archived