First upload with the Fuji X-T1

I've just edtied a few pics with CP1 and I can honestly say it's rendering RAWS out of the Fuji quite remarkably well. The interface does look like the control room of the starship enterprise but it's pretty simple once you get your head around it. Still amazed at the files coming out of this camera. Crazy.

What's amazing is all the images are good, and one doesn't need to take excessive similars to pick the sharpest one. Many times I've only made two similar shots, and sometimes only one! After eleven years of being serious about photography, I find that remarkable. It does take a while of shooting X-Tran to gain that level of trust. Now I find myself trusting a zoom in, a zoom out, and a vertical.

As far as CA, I tick the remove CA button in LR and the deed is done. I don't find much of it to begin with. My Nikons had more.

What's amazing is all the images are good, and one doesn't need to take excessive similars to pick the sharpest one. Many times I've only made two similar shots, and sometimes only one! After eleven years of being serious about photography, I find that remarkable

I found the same when switching from my Canon DSLR stuff to Lumix mirrorless. I now almost never reject an image for lack of sharpness. The focusing is always bang on. All the Canon front focusing, back focusing, lens calibration, micro focus adjust issues I used to have are a thing of the past. If focus was critical I often used to take 4 exposures with my Canon DSLR, because I just couldn't trust it. In my case (no sports/action photos) swapping to mirrorless contrast based AF has made taking the photos and reviewing them so much easier.

Thank you for the information. This has already been mentioned in this forum before but it is a timely reminder. I do use some of the suggestions already but modify them depending on the image.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

I bit the bullet and bought the X-T1 today. I've sat on the fence for a long time but finally decided that it is probably the way to go. My old X Pro 1 is getting on a bit now although still a lot of life left in it yet.

I must admit the X-T1 was like a breath of fresh air!

Whereas my beloved 60mm would take an eternity to focus with the X Pro, and often fail to lock time after time, the X-T1 snaps it into focus quickly and accurately every time, even in relatively low light.

The X Pro has been a struggle from day one, even with firmware upgrades, but I have stuck with it, and, to its credit, has sold a lot of pictures for me.

I'm an LR user and tried C1 a couple of times but couldn't settle with it, so I'm looking forward to processing some files and uploading towards the end of the week.

I'm confident that I am not going to be disappointed!

We shall see!

Interesting thread.

I bit the bullet and bought the X-T1 today. I've sat on the fence for a long time but finally decided that it is probably the way to go. My old X Pro 1 is getting on a bit now although still a lot of life left in it yet.

I must admit the X-T1 was like a breath of fresh air!

Whereas my beloved 60mm would take an eternity to focus with the X Pro, and often fail to lock time after time, the X-T1 snaps it into focus quickly and accurately every time, even in relatively low light.

The X Pro has been a struggle from day one, even with firmware upgrades, but I have stuck with it, and, to its credit, has sold a lot of pictures for me.

I'm an LR user and tried C1 a couple of times but couldn't settle with it, so I'm looking forward to processing some files and uploading towards the end of the week.

I'm confident that I am not going to be disappointed!

We shall see!

So....how are you getting on with the XT? Still on the honeymoon?

How am I getting on Betty?

Thank you for asking :0)

Ok, is the answer!

I'm not missing, or scrapping as many shots as I did with the X Pro through poor AF performance. It is definitely more responsive with my old 60mm lens and it handles nicely. Definitely not as "clunky" as the old X Pro. Loving the dials for fast adjustments!!!!

The most interesting thing I find at the moment is that RAW rendering in LR "would appear" to be worse, as in less sharp, than the RAW files produced by the X Pro, can't quite see why this should be. However, when they are opened in the Affinity Photo Beta they are as sharp as a tack, detail is superior, and the colours are much better!

The "water colour" effect is still there in certain conditions though. But then I have found it in all of the RAW converters that I have tried, and I think I've tried them all. I can live with it.

So, that has created a bit of a conundrum for me as I rely heavily on LR.

It has the best viewfinder I've ever used and makes composition just that bit easier. For the first time ever, I am recording both RAW and JPEG fine. The JPEG's are extremely good, so I am going to try to incorporate those into my workflow a little more.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

Ask me again in 6 months time!!!!!!!! ;0)

Rich.

Richard, this is a good read.  Someone else posted this link on the forum but I can't find it now.  I have tried the suggestions and found they make a difference to the sharpness even though I was already happy with mine.

http://petebridgwood.com.gridhosted.co.uk/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Pearl

How am I getting on Betty?

Thank you for asking :0)

Ok, is the answer!

I'm not missing, or scrapping as many shots as I did with the X Pro through poor AF performance. It is definitely more responsive with my old 60mm lens and it handles nicely. Definitely not as "clunky" as the old X Pro. Loving the dials for fast adjustments!!!!

The most interesting thing I find at the moment is that RAW rendering in LR "would appear" to be worse, as in less sharp, than the RAW files produced by the X Pro, can't quite see why this should be. However, when they are opened in the Affinity Photo Beta they are as sharp as a tack, detail is superior, and the colours are much better!

The "water colour" effect is still there in certain conditions though. But then I have found it in all of the RAW converters that I have tried, and I think I've tried them all. I can live with it.

So, that has created a bit of a conundrum for me as I rely heavily on LR.

It has the best viewfinder I've ever used and makes composition just that bit easier. For the first time ever, I am recording both RAW and JPEG fine. The JPEG's are extremely good, so I am going to try to incorporate those into my workflow a little more.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

Ask me again in 6 months time!!!!!!!! ;0)

Rich.

I'll try to remember to ask in 6 months, but you must realize the memory is the first to go right after certain body parts. :)

Richard, this is a good read.  Someone else posted this link on the forum but I can't find it now.  I have tried the suggestions and found they make a difference to the sharpness even though I was already happy with mine.

Pearl

Thanks for that Pearl.

It is indeed a good read and the suggested settings are very effective. The basic "sharp" setting would seem to be adequate for most of the images that I tried it on.

The $64,000 question is: are any of these settings QC friendly?????

Pearl

Thanks for that Pearl.

It is indeed a good read and the suggested settings are very effective. The basic "sharp" setting would seem to be adequate for most of the images that I tried it on.

The $64,000 question is: are any of these settings QC friendly?????

I have never failed QC with this camera with any settings even these and most of my outdoor shots were taken with the Fuji so there have been lots - hope I haven't just jinxed myself!!!

Pearl

I have noticed that Mr Bridgwoods settings for landscape photos are fine but if used for people/skin/portrait they can cause an effect that looks a bit like sharpening artifacts. Found I needed to back off the detail slider and or increase masking.

Allan

I have noticed that Mr Bridgwoods settings for landscape photos are fine but if used for people/skin/portrait they can cause an effect that looks a bit like sharpening artifacts. Founf I needed to back off the detail slider and or increase masking.

Allan

I too looked at these and even on some details in landscapes, ie leaves, found artifacts. So be very careful with the detail slider :rolleyes:

Phil

I've set up a Fuji LR preset that handles lens correction, profile, sharpening, WB and camera calibration settings with one click. Most of the time it's spot on and I can just export and it's a win, other times, for instance if there's a large tonal range the fuji profile in camera calibration tends to really under expose the edit. Easy fix but annoying. 

Buying the Fuji really slowed me down, and took me out of a weird mentality. I feel like I can shoot anything I like without anyone peering over my shoulder and asking what I'm using. No one cares, because they just think I'm some tourist or clown with a camera. Win win for me really. 

Archived