Fujinon 50-140 2.8 lens

Any of you recent Fuji shooters have this lens?

I just ordered it. Should have it Friday by 8 pm, can't wait. All of the sample pictures I've seen show incredible sharpness, separation and bokeh. Reviews are five star.

Betty

I looked at that lens but cannot see where it would fit in with my shooting or system. Waiting for the 100-400 or a 300 prime.

Having some trouble with Fuji at the moment. My 55-200 was never sharp and was back focussing. Sent for repair at cost of £200+. Worse when it was returned. Requested they refund cost of repair and purchase price in exchange for the lens as it was obviously faulty when I bought it. No replies to my emails for a month or more so have written to the MD for action to be taken. Waiting to hear from him now. :angry:

If I do not get any joy from this last letter I will consider changing to another system, maybe Sony alpha 7 or similar. :(

Allan

I looked at that lens but cannot see where it would fit in with my shooting or system. Waiting for the 100-400 or a 300 prime.

Having some trouble with Fuji at the moment. My 55-200 was never sharp and was back focussing. Sent for repair at cost of £200+. Worse when it was returned. Requested they refund cost of repair and purchase price in exchange for the lens as it was obviously faulty when I bought it. No replies to my emails for a month or more so have written to the MD for action to be taken. Waiting to hear from him now. :angry:

If I do not get any joy from this last letter I will consider changing to another system, maybe Sony alpha 7 or similar. :(

Allan

Sorry to hear that, Allan. I hear from time to time about people getting a bad copy of a lens, in various systems. I guess I've been lucky so far.

I hope everything is made right for you.

Betty, That is the third lens I have sent back for adjustment. All zooms.

It is not so much the faulty lens as much as the lack of response from Fuji. :angry:

Allan

It is not so much the faulty lens as much as the lack of response from Fuji. :angry:

Allan

Ah, the grass only appears to be greener on the other side of the fence!

However. my Sony 55-200 had to go back for adjustment, but it did come back better than when I received it new. In the past I have had a Canon 24-70 f2.8 back and forwards to the repair shop, and it was never 100%.

Today I was using an ancient Asahi SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 (m42 screw thread) with my NEX 6. The lens probably dates back to the early 1970s, but still works perfectly. It's a beautiful piece of miniature engineering, with silky smooth focus. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore!  Going rate at present about $70.

Allan

Ah, the grass only appears to be greener on the other side of the fence!

However. my Sony 55-200 had to go back for adjustment, but it did come back better than when I received it new. In the past I have had a Canon 24-70 f2.8 back and forwards to the repair shop, and it was never 100%.

Today I was using an ancient Asahi SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 (m42 screw thread) with my NEX 6. The lens probably dates back to the early 1970s, but still works perfectly. It's a beautiful piece of miniature engineering, with silky smooth focus. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore! Going rate at present about $70.

How sharp is it? Edge to edge?

I'll report on the new lens once I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

I've been fortunate so far. Not once have I ever had a bad lens, even going back to kit lenses with my film N90. I even bought an inexpensive Sigma 105 macro 2.8 that the barrel extended on. It was pretty slow to focus because I had to wait on that barrel,, but once it did, it took high IQ images. When I got my Nikon 105 I couldn't get over how quick it snapped to focus.

I have a superb Nikon mount Sigma 85...um...1.4? ( been a while since I used it, I use the Fujinon 56mm now for portraits) that I'll be selling.

Today I was using an ancient Asahi SMC Takumar 135mm f3.5 (m42 screw thread) with my NEX 6. The lens probably dates back to the early 1970s, but still works perfectly. It's a beautiful piece of miniature engineering, with silky smooth focus. They certainly don't make 'em like that anymore! Going rate at present about $70.

How sharp is it? Edge to edge?

In truth Betty I've not formally tested it, but these old lenses were of course intended for full frame cameras, and using them on smaller sensor models means that only the centre of the image circle is seen. I used this particular lens because my extension tubes are m42 fit, so not suitable for my more modern glass.

Every old (OEM) lens that I have tested to date produces larger jpg files than my Sony zooms, indicating to me that they are capturing more detail. Some of this may be due to the greater accuracy of manual focus, but I suspect that this is not the major factor.

If I was having to shoot commissioned work then auto focus would probably be a must, but for the majority of stock shooting there is ample time to focus manually.

The three lenses I mentioned above where Fuji X 10-24, 18-135 and now the 55-200.

When I was using Canon I had to return a couple of their zoom L lenses for adjustment too.

When i switched to Fuji (partly because of the good reports of their lenses) I thought I might be finished with having to return lenses for adjustment.

How wrong I was.

Is it me just being too critical of IQ from these lenses?

Allan

Could it be the lens mounting ring on your camera has a bit of play or is not exactly aligned, as that would make every lens you put on it seem duff (especially heavier lenses).

I had that problem with an old nikon EM, but it was an easy fix as the screws holding the mount ring onto the camera just needed tightening.

Parm

Could it be the lens mounting ring on your camera has a bit of play or is not exactly aligned, as that would make every lens you put on it seem duff (especially heavier lenses).

I had that problem with an old nikon EM, but it was an easy fix as the screws holding the mount ring onto the camera just needed tightening.

Parm

Thanks Parm I did check that out near the beginning of the problems and both my X-T1 bodies have secure mounting rings. The faults on the lenses were consistent on both bodies too.

Allan.

PS: My letter to Fuji MD at Bedford seems to have had an effect as I have had a belated communication from the technical department at Fuji saying they are sending prepaid packaging for the return of the 55-200 for inspection.

Parm

Thanks Parm I did check that out near the beginning of the problems and both my X-T1 bodies have secure mounting rings. The faults on the lenses were consistent on both bodies too.

Allan.

PS: My letter to Fuji MD at Bedford seems to have had an effect as I have had a belated communication from the technical department at Fuji saying they are sending prepaid packaging for the return of the 55-200 for inspection.

Good news. Glad you are getting some action.

The three lenses I mentioned above where Fuji X 10-24, 18-135 and now the 55-200.

When I was using Canon I had to return a couple of their zoom L lenses for adjustment too.

When i switched to Fuji (partly because of the good reports of their lenses) I thought I might be finished with having to return lenses for adjustment.

How wrong I was.

Is it me just being too critical of IQ from these lenses?

Allan

If they ain't right you should get them sorted, no issue. I think you've been more than a little unlucky. I have, or had, most lenses available from fuji and never had a fault with any. To be honest, I think you're the first person I've heard say they'd had experienced problems... sounds like real bad luck.

Sorry no money in the kitty for new lenses.

Bye the bye all the Fuji prime lenses I have are fine, it was just the zooms causing problems.

Allan

Strange to say, maybe, but all of mine are zooms except the 56. I like primes for macro and portraits, zooms for everything else.

And if I get portrait results with the 50-140 like I have seen posted, it will be a great alternative, if not the go-to. More flattering compression.

This lens, the 50-140, was supposed to be delivered on March 20th. I called Amazon customer service the next day. I was told to check tracking again on March 24th, and I would also receive a follow-up call on that day.

Here it is the 26th. No lens, no advancement past "shipped" in tracking, and no follow-up call. We're talking about an expensive piece of glass, folks.

Just got off the phone with customer service, who canceled the order, reordered it, and it is being fast-tracked with one day shipping. I received a one month Amazon Prime extension on my contract after the first call, and I FIRMLY requested another month extension today. I've been polite so far, but I am not guaranteeing politeness if I don't get the lens tomorrow.

GRRR!

No tornados near you, I hope. I think about you when I hear that news.

Paulette

Actually, yes there were. A weak one was reported about 1.25 miles away, but it must not have touched down. Although our doctor's office in that area was without power this morning, and we had to reschedule hubby's yearly exam.

One did hit Moore again. Moore is a town that basically abuts Oklahoma City, but as the crow flies from where we live, is about 10-12 miles away. That town has been hit three times in the last 15 years. You couldn't pay me to live there. Two years ago in Moore, children died when a twister hit their school, and other people lost their lives. The one about 15 years ago was an EF5, the strongest there is, and wiped out homes down to the foundations in Moore and south OKC.

The Tulsa area in the eastern part of Oklahoma, also was hit. A bunch of mobile homes wiped out and one death in a suburb town of Tulsa.

Bob and I stood in our garage taking pictures of golf ball sized hail falling as the tornado sirens lent eerie sounds to the evening.

Whoa. Much too exciting. I remember what happened in Moore -- the home of Toby Keith. Love his humor -- humour for you guys across the pond. "Wanna Talk About Me" makes me giggle. Oooops. Better stop talking about me. Glad you are OK, Betty.

Paulette

What was scary is when the huge hailstones fell, they were being blown by high wind from the west. I thought our dining room window was going to be shattered. Sounded like big rocks hitting. By the time we were taking pictures they'd gone down to marble size.

Got the lens. In the process of image evaluation. It may take me a few days.

Initial impression. This is a large, heavy lens by Fuji standards, but compared to Nikon/Canon, much lighter. I can hand hold it without bother to my arthritic hands.

I would like to hear the results too please.

Well Fuji are still playing silly b-----s.

They promised a new 55-200.

I said on condition of full refund for abortive repair for what was obviously a faulty lens from the start.

They returned the original lens with note saying it hard been repaired but no refund.

Tested lens today and find it is sharp corner to corner at all focal lengths so will be keeping it.

Still mad at Fuji's inactions, lack of communications, and saying they will do something then go ahead and do something different.

They seem to have a policy of no refunds and in one phone message they stated "We can not - Will not refund purchase price." Like to see them try that throughout the courts.

Seems that they will not admit to faulty lens and refund repair costs as well.

Bad customer relations from Fuji. And my local supplier agrees saying they are having similar problems with Fuji too.

All this is via their Bedford UK centre.

Allan

I would like to hear the results too please.

Well Fuji are still playing silly b-----s.

They promised a new 55-200.

I said on condition of full refund for abortive repair for what was obviously a faulty lens from the start.

They returned the original lens with note saying it hard been repaired but no refund.

Tested lens today and find it is sharp corner to corner at all focal lengths so will be keeping it.

Still mad at Fuji's inactions, lack of communications, and saying they will do something then go ahead and do something different.

They seem to have a policy of no refunds and in one phone message they stated "We can not - Will not refund purchase price." Like to see them try that throughout the courts.

Seems that they will not admit to faulty lens and refund repair costs as well.

Bad customer relations from Fuji. And my local supplier agrees saying they are having similar problems with Fuji too.

All this is via their Bedford UK centre.

Allan

No good at all..... I would be tempted to send an email to their head office along with copies of the UK office emails. I don't think they would be impressed and it is not the image they are looking to build. I think they should hear of these stories so they have a chance to sort them out!

Fortunately, my only experience was the light leak and they sent out a courier box for me to send it to them, repaired and returned it within 8 days.

Archived