Lightroom adjustments, what gives?

The image size required for submission question gets asked so often that I thought there was a pinned posting from Alamy on it, but I can't find it. Maybe that was the old forum? Anyone know where it is?

The sticky disappeared when the requirement went down to 17MB and didn't return.

My understanding is that Alamy will reject files that are of the wrong size but it is not a QC fail (in the sin-bin category), so you can always try an upload, if you are convinced that it meets the other criteria.  I have only had one fail so far and that was because the file was larger than the maximum allowed size - if I remember correctly it was pretty much an immediate rejection without any further repercussions.

Strange because I shoot RAW + jpeg but on importing to LR it only shows the RAW files.

Allan

Have you changed references so that the jpegs show as separate files - http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/file-import-formats-settings.html

Thanks for the information Geoff I did not realise I could have done that. You learn something new every day. But I am happy to leave the import at RAW + tiff. Don't wish to clutter up with jpeg as well.

Allan

The image size required for submission question gets asked so often that I thought there was a pinned posting from Alamy on it, but I can't find it. Maybe that was the old forum? Anyone know where it is?

The sticky disappeared when the requirement went down to 17MB and didn't return.

That's a shame, it must have helped quite a few beginners.

I actually uploaded 35 images last night after reading the many great responses to this thread and I pushed my luck with one of them because I assumed it would be OK.  Well, it wasn't but it was rejected during the upload process rather than affecting the whole batch in QC so apparently the question of minimum file size isn't really a big deal.

I shoot both because I always thought I might want images for some reason straight out of the camera that I didn't have to monkey with but I'm realizing more and more that it's only the RAW files that I'm using and it may not make sense for me to shoot both.  I'm going to the Dominican Republic this week for vacation and may change my settings just to allow more images per card without switching. 

That's what mine had been doing as well but rather than recognizing that the RAW files were being compressed when I was changing them to JPEGs, I freaked out and wondered what was going on.  I changed the settings to allow both the RAW and JPEGs in Lightroom 4 but then realized that I had absolutely zero reason to want the JPEGs in there at all so I changed the settings back. 

Thanks again for everyone's help, it's been quite helpful and informative for me.  I had really expected to get beat up a little bit more.  :D

.  I had really expected to get beat up a little bit more.  :D

Not at all. It's clear you've listened and learned and all of us click the wrong box now and again. With me it used to be the insert key.

It's the ones who don't listen who get flamed. Or at least shown the toaster.

In Lightroom if you go to view on the menu bar at the top while in the develop module you can set preferences in the Loupe info section by clicking view options.  Here you can change what info appears onscreen.

Lightroom%202.JPG?psid=1&width=320&heighLightroom 2

This is what the overlay looks like.

Lightroom%203.JPG?psid=1&width=580&heighLightroom 3

Down at the bottom left in the develop module it also displays the file number and type (tiff. jpeg, or raw ) 

Lightroom.JPG?psid=1&width=602&height=32Lightroom

Also if you place your mouse cursor over the thumbnail it will display the photo info.

There shouldn't be a problem, Alamy says the Uncompressed file should be 15MB minimum, which yours are at 25MB, but when you upload as a jpeg to Alamy the 8-10MB you talk about should be fine, unless you size them at 10x8 or something too small to make the Jpeg smaller than 6MB

The submission guidelines is quite confusing at first. I always export mine to Photoshop to save as a JPEG.

I think I'm right in thinking when you upload, it tells you straight away if the file is too small? As I have done that a couple of times when cropping an image, but re-cropping it above the minimum made it go through

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, it rejects a too small image without failing the whole upload, which is nice.  I tried it specifically with some crops to see what would happen. 

Thanks for all the help in this thread and on the forum in general, it's been quite useful to me as a fairly inexperienced and new photographer, Alamy member.

Archived