This is better than most stock sales these days

TABan

Looks an interesting site. I have had for many years a 160-image collection on theimagefile in the UK, which offers a similar kind of fulfilment, with never a single sale. Thousands of views at all sizes. It's nothing like as fully featured as FAA and I do not think it has any customers - for stock downloads or any other use. How much do you actually make from wall prints through FAA? Not that my views of obscure towns in Scotland are likely to end up on US walls.

Looks an interesting site. I have had for many years a 160-image collection on theimagefile in the UK, which offers a similar kind of fulfilment, with never a single sale. Thousands of views at all sizes. It's nothing like as fully featured as FAA and I do not think it has any customers - for stock downloads or any other use. How much do you actually make from wall prints through FAA? Not that my views of obscure towns in Scotland are likely to end up on US walls.

David, on FAA you set your own prices, which depend on print sizes. I have mine set from $15 to $150 profit (i.e. my share). Some photographers have set their prices much higher than this, though. You also make 10% on accessories -- frames, fancy paper, etc. Sales for me are sporadic but still worthwhile. My last sale made me about $100. You might have a point about obscure towns in Scotland.

David I can sympathise. I just cleaned out my RedBubble portfolio having only made small amounts over a long period. It is a similar site to FAA but doesn't seem to have any customers. I often liken it to a farmers' market that no-one knows about and the stallholders end up selling to each other. FAA looks pretty good though and sounds promising from earlier comments.

Thanks to all for the kind compliments. Interesting day. I just uploaded five photos of an incident that occurred just a block south of my home to Alamy News. Not sure I should post a direct link as a few are graphic (blood), so be forewarned if you go have a look. Perhaps it's time to move to the country.

The most I place on the largest size available (depending on image size of the file upload) is $250.00 (which is what I receive) and the buyer pays FAA just over $400.00, depending on the medium, so folk will pay to see your art on their walls.  And, David, you would be surprised what sells on FAA.  For US$30 per annum you also get your own website and a widget to place on your blog/website linking to your work on FAA.  When uploading images, you can use your Twitter and/or Facebook page to announce the upload.  Also when you sell an image, you can also do the same.  I must say it's about the only time I use Twitter or Facebook :)   Abstract and mono are quite good sellers and FAA do deliver outside of the US.  In the first three months of this year, I received approx $800.

Sheila

David I can sympathise. I just cleaned out my RedBubble portfolio having only made small amounts over a long period. It is a similar site to FAA but doesn't seem to have any customers. I often liken it to a farmers' market that no-one knows about and the stallholders end up selling to each other. FAA looks pretty good though and sounds promising from earlier comments.

Ray

I am about to dump RedBubble entirely as I am tired of seeing my work unwatermarked on infringing sites where the metadata indicates that it was lifted from RB as they refuse the watermark large thumbnails.  Over the past couple of years, the work they promote appears to me to be juvenile pop art and posters and they have removed completely away from fine art photography or anything half decent! 

The most I place on the largest size available (depending on image size of the file upload) is $250.00 (which is what I receive) and the buyer pays FAA just over $400.00, depending on the medium, so folk will pay to see your art on their walls.  And, David, you would be surprised what sells on FAA.  For US$30 per annum you also get your own website and a widget to place on your blog/website linking to your work on FAA.  When uploading images, you can use your Twitter and/or Facebook page to announce the upload.  Also when you sell an image, you can also do the same.  I must say it's about the only time I use Twitter or Facebook :)   Abstract and mono are quite good sellers and FAA do deliver outside of the US.  In the first three months of this year, I received approx $800.

Sheila

I checked out your FAA website, Sheila. Lovely images. I can see why you are doing so well on FAA. Just wondering, have you been able to trace any of your sales directly to Facebook or Twitter posts? I don't particularly like inundating "friends" and "followers" with advertising, but I do occasionally post announcements. These usually bring a flurry of visitors that soon peters out. Also, none of the images that I've "announced" have ever sold. My FAA sales literally seem to come out of the blue.

Not that my views of obscure towns in Scotland are likely to end up on US walls.

Plenty of Scots, or Scott-ish, in the US. If you haven't got a pic of their ancestral home, no-one has.

There is also ARTFLAKES, which is more UK/Europe-centric. I've never managed to make any sales through them, but some people do. Their website is much clunkier than FAA's, however.

Sheila

I checked out your FAA website, Sheila. Lovely images. I can see why you are doing so well on FAA. Just wondering, have you been able to trace any of your sales directly to Facebook or Twitter posts? I don't particularly like inundating "friends" and "followers" with advertising, but I do occasionally post announcements. These usually bring a flurry of visitors that soon peters out. Also, none of the images that I've "announced" have ever sold. My FAA sales literally seem to come out of the blue.

Thanks John.  I have just placed a Statcounter on FAA so hope to find out where they buyers come from and what they looked at.  I have no idea if any of my sales come via FB or Twitter.  

Sheila

Ray

I am about to dump RedBubble entirely as I am tired of seeing my work unwatermarked on infringing sites where the metadata indicates that it was lifted from RB as they refuse the watermark large thumbnails.  Over the past couple of years, the work they promote appears to me to be juvenile pop art and posters and they have removed completely away from fine art photography or anything half decent! 

Hi Sheila, you and Todd have inspired me to open an account on FAA. Looking at what's there, my stuff is probably better suited on FAA than Alamy.

Ray 

• 3 weeks later...

Ray

Hi Sheila, you and Todd have inspired me to open an account on FAA. Looking at what's there, my stuff is probably better suited on FAA than Alamy.

Ray 

On reading this thread I too have opened a Pro account with FAA. I've uploaded work I deemed too toned for Alamy, however, It seems like the perfect place for my work. It's a great site. Lots of people moaning on the forums, but I tend not to delve in there.

Great that they ship worldwide.

http://fineartamerica.com/saleannouncement.html?id=99ccbd49a30f19c2fe5cbc03ecc680b7

Now if I could do this several times a month, I'd be a happy camper.

Well done Todd!   For what its worth,  I have sold more on FAA than  I have ever done on redbubble, despite the fact that I have been on Redbubble far longer and with a much larger portfolio. So Redbubble largly seems a wast of time to me. 

I can't sell anything on FAA.  Sold a few on Red Bubble but Zazzle is the only non-stock site I seem to have any real success with.  I'm sure part of the problem with FAA is the extortionate postage to the UK.

I've had some sucess selling on Zazzle too. Mostly photography based products, but also involving some design work too. 

I cancelled my account with RedBubble last week due to their refusal to watermark thumbnails which were huge on screen and I was constantly finding the source of my work being infringed back to RB.  Also they were promoting such a load of crap t-shirt designs and the marketing (for want of a better word) was directed at teens and pre-teens.  Last month their promotions was the "art" of tattoos for heavens sake!  I used to do quite well on RB but lately sold a couple of cards.

I have now decided to handle enquiries from customers myself (in Australia) rather than use a print on demand site. I found a really good canvas printer in the Gold Coast, Qld and am looking for a good one in the Sydney area (any recommendations?!!)

Sheila

Archived