Is there a Alamy badge which we can where when doing news related photography. I have had letters from alamy in the passed when they have asked me to do something in the local area. I have been questioned a few times and think a Alamy news agency badge would help ?

I guess I'm lucky.In 35 years as a pro photog I've only been asked twice to see my police media card.

I use to have cards from different agencies but no one ever asked to see them.

I always carry a couple of tearsheets with my byline in my camera bag. It helped once.

L

I see fewer and fewer press passes as years go on, and have never received one, though I do assignments for area media. I often wear a simple NAPP identification card, as a head's up I'm not taking photos just for personal use, plus it's been helpful a couple of times.

When not on assignment - I do best to contact venue/organization ahead of time, and ask a question such as:

"I'm a [contract (or) freelance (or) ....] photographer and will be covering [event/location] and would appreciate advice on best time to arrive...." and I include a link to my Published Works page.

When no other approach fits, I'll bring along a newspaper or magazine with photos of mine, ideally captured in similar or nearby area or situation.

All the best - Ann

I got into the British Association of Journalists ( I know, me right?) Anyway they issued me with a 'PRESS' card with their details on it and my name etc etc. It's not an official industry recognised card but has helped difuse some situations. One woman who was screaming at me during the independence rallys, demanded that I delete a picture of her. I said no chance. I gave her the number for the BAJ and she was put right on the issue of public spaces. She wanted to see ID so I showed the card (out of respect for my elders) and that at least had her stop shouting. 

Only reason I got in there was because I had 14 usages in the last year. 

I've been to loads of things and only had to show the card once. I often find that my behaviour, and learning from the more experienced of togs on scenes has helped me blend in a bit more. 

I see fewer and fewer press passes as years go on, and have never received one, though I do assignments for area media. I often wear a simple NAPP identification card, as a head's up I'm not taking photos just for personal use, plus it's been helpful a couple of times.

When not on assignment - I do best to contact venue/organization ahead of time, and ask a question such as:

"I'm a [contract (or) freelance (or) ....] photographer and will be covering [event/location] and would appreciate advice on best time to arrive...." and I include a link to my Published Works page.

When no other approach fits, I'll bring along a newspaper or magazine with photos of mine, ideally captured in similar or nearby area or situation.

All the best - Ann

That's much the same as my approach. At the end of the day the organiser media contact (aften a PR company) needs to know what you can provide them, usually in the form of press coverage or other exposure - it is a two-way street. They give access in expectation, or possibility, of coverage of some sort.

Like Paul, I joined the BAJ, I considered the NUJ but decided they were not for me, but they might have been slightly cheaper. I considered one of the press photographer's association but decided to go with general journalists' association as I also write. I don't expect to use a Press Card very often, if at all, but being a member of a recognised press body (and especially if holder of an official Press Card Authority card) may be helpful when approaching some news agencies or seeking accreditation - some do ask.

I use a press card a lot and it is very handy.

Yesterday, at the peace rally here in Tours I went up to the town hall and asked if I could get in to go up to the 1st floor. A quick flash of the card opened that door and has opened many doors this past year.

I use a press card a lot and it is very handy.

Yesterday, at the peace rally here in Tours I went up to the town hall and asked if I could get in to go up to the 1st floor. A quick flash of the card opened that door and has opened many doors this past year.

In the recent events in Glasgow, I wondered if I could use that to my advantage to get to a higher spot in the building near by. Loads of office blocks. Decided against it. Still came away with 3 usages though. 

Archived