Hi folks,

Does anyone here have any experience of uploading images from a Canon G12 to Alamy?

I've been thinking of using one as a carry around camera.  It's not on the banned list of cameras, and neither is it on the recommended list.  It produces files at 28.6MB, so should be OK.

I'm just looking for a little guidance before I try a test upload.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

I have no direct experience of this model, but would rather purchase the Sony Alpha 5000 which is a similar or lower price with more MPs. I do have the Canon G9 which I never liked but still occasionally carry it around and even the micros are refusing some low ISO pics, although some of it's shots have sold on Alamy. I intend to purchase the Sony A6000 this year as a carry anywhere camera to complement my Canon DSLR.

If you are determined it does get decent reviews.

I have no direct experience of this model, but would rather purchase the Sony Alpha 5000 which is a similar or lower price with more MPs. I do have the Canon G9 which I never liked but still occasionally carry it around and even the micros are refusing some low ISO pics, although some of it's shots have sold on Alamy. I intend to purchase the Sony A6000 this year as a carry anywhere camera to complement my Canon DSLR.

Low ISO pics? Did you mean high?

Sorry, I maybe should have made clear that I already own one. I've just not used it for Alamy.

Widenening my question slightly, does anyone have experience of using an oldish non-recommended camera for Alamy?

By low ISO I mean 80 and 100, can't seem to get it any lower. I would not use the G9 for Alamy now but tried submitting pics from it to two major microstock sites, they both refused them whilst accepting others from my 60D.

I've been a big fan of the Canon G series camera's for years, since the G2.  I still have a working G3

that I let my 7 year-old take to school.  I still use my G9 on occasion.  I'm currently looking to buy a G15.

I have a number of images on Alamy shot with a G9 at less than 400ISO and they are licensed.

Chuck (still the original one)

Hello, I'm Ed . . . or as my friends call me: the Voice of Doom.  :angry:

Until the recent G15 and G16, Alamy has never had any of the Canon G Series on their approved list. Hmmmmm. And why is it only 10MP? My Nikon D200s were 10MP. I remember handling and liking the retro feel of the earlier Gs. At that time it was hit or miss if they passed QC. For just 2.5 X the money you could have a Sony RX10. 

What it comes down to is are you going to listen to the Voice of Chuck or the Voice of Doom?  :o

(In making your decision please don't consider the fact that I've been in the sin bin three times since I began using the RX10.)

I've used the Canon G12 as a carry-around for several years and have many images from it on Alamy. I particularly like its flip-out screen for 'low-level' shots and its macro mode, and some of its images have sold quite well.

Essential to use RAW of course (I've always used DXO Optics Pro for processing G12 shots) and lowest possible ISO (never above 200).

That said, it hasn't had much use since I moved to the Fuji X-Series, but I'm certainly not getting rid of it yet. 

I used a Canon Powershot Pro 8mp when I was first deciding whether or not to move onto a digital platform. That camera used to be listed on the Unsuitable Camera list, but is no longer there. I would love to upload the thousands of shots I took with that camera (the file sizes are around 22mb). I might try a few and see if they pass inspection.

Kimba, I think it's highly unlikely that your Powershot Pro has become acceptable or moved into the unspecified 'middle ground'. More likely, they have just culled the published Unsuitable List to make it shorter. That said, I'm not familiar with the camera but I certainly wouldn't want to risk a visit to the sin bin. Perhaps ask Member Services for advice if you're really keen to use those thousands of shots (but I think I know what the answer will be).

If you shoot in good light at low ISO and downsize to 17MP you'll propably be OK. I tried submitting from a G10 in the days when images had to be 48MB. They failed on SoLD. Looking back at them I'm not surpised! However, if I rescale them down to 17MB they look like they could pass (although I've not yet tried submitting any to QC).

The G12 produces better images than the G10.

I've submitted lots of images from my G15 (RAW files shot in good light at ISO 80 using LR4 to process) without any QC problems at 24MB size.

Thanks Number Six. You are probably right about asking - I have little patience for waiting for answers, but asking is probably the better thing to do.

The Canon Powershot Pro was a groovy little camera that sold me on going digital and made me choose to closet my FTb analog.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_pro_series/powershot_pro_1

Archived