Should have an X100T in my hands in a week.

I was reading a review of the X100T this afternoon. There was a link to one being sold on eBay. I followed it. I made a bid. Someone else upped the bid. I made another. I won.

Mint condition silver!!

How much, you ask? Hmmm, how about $510, $10.00 shipping. I stole it.

I never buy from eBay. Never. So I'm nervous. The seller has 100% positive feedback though, so I bit the bullet. The price was too good to pass up.

Now I'm wondering what's wrong with it, even though it's supposed to be in mint condition.

<biting fingernails>

Betty

Betty, 

All six DSLR's and most of the glass that I am using were bought on eBay (as well as over 6,000 watts

of studio packs and heads)....  I've had fewer problems buying  (smartly) on eBay then anywhere else

over the years.  I would make one suggestion, buy the Square trade warranty.  I've had camera's fall

apart and before they could be put back together by the manufacturer I had a check in the bank for the

entire cost of the repair.

Chuck

Nice one Betty.

I have placed an order with my local shop for the X100T with wide and tele converters. I get the tele converter FREE under Fuji terms.

Got to wait. Patience, patience, patience, patience.

Allan

Very interesting video. He's got more guts than I have, lol!  I am worried that this is a "found" or "stolen" camera, because I can't seem to see that it comes with anything!

So...if there is no manual, no battery, no charger...what do I do?  Will the charger for the XT-1 work?  Battery the same?  Anyplace I can get a manual to hold in my hand, not a downloadable one?

I hope it isn't a camera that somebody broke into someone's house or car and took.  I get very upset when I see that stuff on TV.  I'll let you know what comes with it.  If anything does!

Very interesting video. He's got more guts than I have, lol!  I am worried that this is a "found" or "stolen" camera, because I can't seem to see that it comes with anything!

So...if there is no manual, no battery, no charger...what do I do?  Will the charger for the XT-1 work?  Battery the same?  Anyplace I can get a manual to hold in my hand, not a downloadable one?

I hope it isn't a camera that somebody broke into someone's house or car and took.  I get very upset when I see that stuff on TV.  I'll let you know what comes with it.  If anything does!

Don't worry about something you can't say for certain happened. You have bought the item in good faith. It's more like they are trying to pull a fast one selling on an opened box that is missing gear (returned item etc)

As for the battery charger, it is completely different from the one used by the X-T1. I picked up a spare battery but you could pick up the one including charger if the camera doesn't come with one. 

I'm excited about the macro ability. I've never been able to close focus as much as I'd like with my T1. If this works as well as I hope, I might let go of either my RX100 or the RX 3. As I say that, I feel protective of them both! :)

Betty,Be sure you check that serial number out,call Fuji if you have to and ask if it has been serviced. If it checks out,go to Amazon and spend $26 for the 2 Wasabi batteries w/charger.I use those for all my cameras,never had a problem.You got a nice deal,you can barely get an old X100 for that price.

Betty,Be sure you check that serial number out,call Fuji if you have to and ask if it has been serviced. If it checks out,go to Amazon and spend $26 for the 2 Wasabi batteries w/charger.I use those for all my cameras,never had a problem.You got a nice deal,you can barely get an old X100 for that price.

Thanks, Linda.  I have already got the batteries/charger on my Wish List at Amazon.  I'm just waiting for delivery to see what else I get, which I suspect is nothing. I can't seem to find anywhere to get the accessories package that normally ships with the camera.  I looked on the Fuji website, and didn't see anywhere listing those items.

Number Six, that sounds encouraging and I hope I enjoy it a lot!

Just sent the refund and cancel transaction request. You just need to accept this and the refund will show up in your PayPal account. You can check with eBay to confirm these steps if you would like.

Amit

OK, people. Some people on the Fuji X forum warned me that this transaction might be a scam. They urged me to investigate. Below is the back and forth with the seller. I think the guy was trying to scam me, because why would he not know it was stolen? Unless he runs a pawn shop and the cops or victim came calling?

Anyway, I'm not getting the camera :( and the money has been returned to my paypal account.

I doubt I will ever shop eBay again. Once burned, twice shy.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

At Dec 25, 2014, 4:42:55 PM, Archana Goyal<'goya0016@yahoo.com'> wrote:

Hi Betty,

The auction was legit but it turned out the item was stolen and has been returned to its owner. I did not know this when I had listed the item up for sale. I am not sure why you got an email from eBay showing the item was shipped, I may have selected that this happened by accident.

I am happy to refund your money and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to you. I just figured this all out late on the 23rd and have not had a chance to let you know yet so Thank you for emailing me.

I will send you a cancel transaction request from eBay after I send this email. After you accept it eBay will refund the full amount of money you paid.

As an experienced eBay user myself I have found that auctions usually end within 5-10% of the price that other auctions for the same item are ending at. So if you ever get an 'unusually' good deal on eBay I would be suspect that something is afoul.

Again I am sorry that you wasted your time with this but I am sending a cancel transaction request right now so you will get al your money back. Merry Christmas, and again I apologize

Amit

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

At Dec 25, 2014, 1:32:19 PM, Betty Larue<'echorider@cox.net'> wrote:

It has been brought to my attention by experienced eBay users that the listing for the camera, the X100T, may be fraudulent. I paid $520.00 including shipping through PayPal.

You have not notified me that the camera has shipped.

It has been strongly suggested to me to report this transaction to eBay. Can you give me assurances that this transaction was in fact, truthful?

Betty

Sent from my iPad

Well I am

So right, Russell. I could have really dug myself a hole with it.

I'm so glad you quickly got your money back. Ebay is actually quite safe and getting refunds up to 6 months now is quite easy.I've received a few myself lately.

How would he not know if that was stolen? If he had purchased the camera legitimately he would know the real price of it and would have posted a higher selling price because this camera is still new.

How did he know the camera was stolen after the auction ended? Was a serial number listed in the auction?

The seller has to physically mark an item as 'Shipped.' I know this because I've sold thousands of things on ebay. Ebay doesn't automatically do this,however,it might get marked as shipped IF he bought shipping thru the Paypal/Ebay system which I doubt he did because you would have automatically gotten a tracking number notification.

My cautions when buying used are as follows: If it doesn't come with any of the obvious stuff like charger,manual.

If they can not provide the original purchase receipt. If you are buying an import or grey market,you might not be able to do firmware upgrades or get a repair in the USA

I read the feedback comments and note how many negs/neutrals and how long they've been selling.

Sometimes I google their name/ebay ID to see if others have complained offsite.

If  a buyer has had a dispute with a seller and gone thru the ebay system ebay will not let you leave feedback on the transaction...which really stinks if it was a bad transaction.

You still have a bunch of really cool cameras!

L

I always go directly thru the ebay system and file a dispute and never in back and forth private emails with the seller. That way you are totally protected more so than the old fashioned way we use to do biz...

Notwithstanding Linda's comments, it sounds like the seller is a responsible eBayer or is, at least, responsible enough to send an appropriate apology. I would just put it down to experience and not let it put you off eBay. You can get some genuinely good deals on eBay but you do often have to 'read between the lines' of each advert.

Best regards

John 

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with ebay seller Betty. I have only ever had one bad experience with a seller in Canada many years ago and was able to get a refund but it did not put me off buying  on that site.

Shame that you will not be getting the X100T for a while longer now.

Allan

Not your fault Betty and don't let that put you off buying on eBay. The trouble with cameras and lenses in particular is that you really need to see them and with the United States being so large, this presumably is totally impracticable on almost every occasion.

Reading the reply that was sent  to you, I would say going through it line by line and without the aid of any hindsight whatsoever, that is a total scam and scammer at work. 

The other issue I would draw from that is the 'I have not had time to let you know'. That's about a ridiculous statement anyone could make when dealing with other people's money and obvious stress.

When paying through Paypal there's almost no other outcome than to receive a refund fortunately: that said I can't stand Paypal and the amount of money they charge per transaction is almost ludicrous in the extreme. But you do get refunded through the eBay system so that has worked out well.

Not your fault Betty and don't let that put you off buying on eBay. The trouble with cameras and lenses in particular is that you really need to see them and with the United States being so large, this presumably is totally impracticable on almost every occasion.

Reading the reply that was sent  to you, I would say going through it line by line and without the aid of any hindsight whatsoever, that is a total scam and scammer at work. 

The other issue I would draw from that is the 'I have not had time to let you know'. That's about a ridiculous statement anyone could make when dealing with other people's money and obvious stress.

When paying through Paypal there's almost no other outcome than to receive a refund fortunately: that said I can't stand Paypal and the amount of money they charge per transaction is almost ludicrous in the extreme. But you do get refunded through the eBay system so that has worked out well.

You hit the nail on the head, Gervais.  I think you are right on all accounts.

And Linda, thanks for the good advice!

Archived