Don Giannatti is doing a series of blog posts on "What I've Learned So Far".  This post rings true

http://www.lighting-essentials.com/what-ive-learned-so-far-twelve-nice-shot-who-cares/

The trouble is, you have 40,000+ contributors sending images to the micros as an introduction to stock...and in the micros, the emphasis is technical ability over artistic merit.

At more traditional RM libraries, the emphasis is artistic merit over technical ability.  I believe this is why RM has survived.

At Alamy, well....Alamy accepts mostly everything and lets those images compete on their own merits.  If I had my druthers, I'd rather submit my images as RM over RF despite images being more appropriate for RF simply because RM images are much easier to track or manage from my own perspective.

Ed:

It seems to me that in today's splintered market, none of these segments (micro, Alamy, and high end) have anything to do with each other, even when the same buyers go to all of them on behalf of a single client. I have no idea how this works, but I hear about this from editors often enough. And of course, like any other business, buyers define how we're paid and how we set our prices.

I know what I want and know that I can't get it, I just need some more clues on how to move forward.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather submit my images as RM over RF despite images being more appropriate for RF simply because RM images are much easier to track or manage from my own perspective.

That's more or less how I feel, especially since there now doesn't seem to be a huge difference between RM and RF on Alamy.

To John and all,

When I said "assignment Photography", what I am doing is executive portraits.  I come on location with about 400lbs of equipment.

5,000 watts of strobe with six 2,400 watt heads, softboxes up to 7ft across, 22inch beauty dishes, grids, barn doors, a boom for a

hair light and a pair of 42inch umbrellas that I have not used once.  Most times I also have Super White and Thunder Gray seamless. 

I have backups for everything.

I am now shooting mostly with Nikon D800's in NEF which produces a 200+MB file as a 16bit TIFF and so far my clients love the

images.  I am also telling everyone that "All work is COD."  I deliver the work and leave with a check or cash.

It is also a good thing that for the last few years I work out every day, 300 pushups, 100 squats etc.

PS John drop me a note directly if you want a great little tip about finding clients.

Chuck

To John and all,

When I said "assignment Photography", what I am doing is executive portraits.  I come on location with about 400lbs of equipment.

5,000 watts of strobe with six 2,400 watt heads, softboxes up to 7ft across, 22inch beauty dishes, grids, barn doors, a boom for a

hair light and a pair of 42inch umbrellas that I have not used once.  Most times I also have Super White and Thunder Gray seamless. 

I have backups for everything.

I am now shooting mostly with Nikon D800's in NEF which produces a 200+MB file as a 16bit TIFF and so far my clients love the

images.  I am also telling everyone that "All work is COD."  I deliver the work and leave with a check or cash.

It is also a good thing that for the last few years I work out every day, 300 pushups, 100 squats etc.

PS John drop me a note directly if you want a great little tip about finding clients.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck, but I'm not interested in doing assignment work, nor am I equipped, both in the camera and muscle departments. B)

John:

If you were in the NY/NJ area, I'd be happy to help you out in the muscle department. I consider strength training to be essential for professional photographers.

Thanks, but with today's light, mirrorless cameras, I don't need muscles. They would be just one more thing to carry around.

Excellent point!

Well, not really, I was being silly. Strength training sounds like an excellent idea for anyone who needs a lot of equipment.

However, after lugging around a heavy camera bag for years, I do find the shift to lighter cameras and lenses liberating (and easier on aging body parts).

I remember years ago a friend asking me to go shopping with them for ski gear for their first ever ski holiday. Despite suggestions to the contrary, they bought top line and flashy gear. Not sure they got the idea that the flashier the gear, the more they drew attention to their lack of skills. Never asked, but expect they probably had the most expensive photography gear too!

The saying "all the gear - and no idea!" springs to mind!

John.

John Mitchell wrote:

"Well, not really, I was being silly. Strength training sounds like an excellent idea for anyone who needs a lot of equipment".

I combine both when I'm using my 8" x 10" which is my main camera for 99% of my (not stock) photography. Carrying the gear keeps you fit for carrying it! 

There are some pics of me and my gear here: http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/news.html

John Mitchell wrote:

"Well, not really, I was being silly. Strength training sounds like an excellent idea for anyone who needs a lot of equipment".

I combine both when I'm using my 8" x 10" which is my main camera for 99% of my (not stock) photography. Carrying the gear keeps you fit for carrying it! 

There are some pics of me and my gear here: http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/news.html

It looks as if you've got your own "on-the-job" fitness program alright.

Archived