Windy City

TABan

Yes, people don't realize that a foot or even less of fast moving water can do this to you. My late father was stationed in the coast artillery in San Francisco prior to and at the outset of WWII. He once told me that while he was there, a woman walking along a beach on a sunny day had her feet taken out from under her by the wash of a breaking wave. She was sucked out into the ocean by the backwash and never seen again.

The shore of Lake Michigan from Indiana up into Michigan is among the most dangerous areas for rip currents in the States. People come from all over, and thinking it's just a lake, don't respect it and get into trouble by the tens every summer. If you get sucked out by a rip, the warm shore water turns to very cold deep water really quickly and this can get even folks who know how to deal with a rip into a dire situation.

As a dinghy sailor some of the most difficult wave conditions I ever met were on a lake, Loch Ness. The wind got up and so did very short, steep and surprisingly big waves. On the sea the waves are usually longer wavelength and lower frequency, you can sail them but not those on the Loch; it was just a case of bashing through them - it was very hard work and very uncomfortable. The boat coped with it better than we did!

Read my blog story, Martin: part of a manual of what NOT to do when traveling.

That's what I was responding to - scary. I suspect most of us have found ourselves in similar (perhaps not as extreme) situations in search of that elusive image. I guess we should always remember the old proverb "Look before you leap".

And the topper. Four of the images from Friday, including soaked guy are on the Daily Mail Online: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2816880/65-mph-winds-creating-freak-waves-slam-cars-Chicago-early-snowfall-Sierra-Nevada-Wacky-weather-greets-change-season-clocks-weekend.html

First three are mine too. Thanks Alamy News!

T and gang: you might want to read my newest blog, about an incident at Iguazu Falls in Brazil.  http://edoruan2.blogspot.com/ 

Ed all I get when clicking on link above is  Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist. Home

????

Allan

T and gang: you might want to read my newest blog, about an incident at Iguazu Falls in Brazil. http://edoruan2.blogspot.com/

Ed all I get when clicking on link above is

Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.

Home

????

Allan

I got that then the page loaded :huh:

Thanks for trying to have a look, Allan. If you google: mulberry street rooney you can get to me from there. 

Hey, good on you, T! Nice sales.  :)

Thanks Ed got there. I know the feeling as I can't swim either. but as you say, with a camera on board a lot of wisdom seems to disappear.

Allan

I like your story Edo. For the most part my life has been safe and bland, but even I have a few memories of grand adventures. As I grow older I'm thankful for those memories that remind me I pushed the boundaries and at least occasionally lived life for all it's worth. I hope I have at least a few more left to come before I permanently retire to the safety of a parlor arm chair.

I like your story Edo. For the most part my life has been safe and bland, but even I have a few memories of grand adventures. As I grow older I'm thankful for those memories that remind me I pushed the boundaries and at least occasionally lived life for all it's worth. I hope I have at least a few more left to come before I permanently retire to the safety of a parlor arm chair.

One suggestion I saw and felt makes a lot of sense is along the lines: "When you are old why worry about living a safe life, live what is left to the full. If it means taking risks so what, what have you got to lose but perhaps a few uncertain years. After all you have already had a good life"

I guess that could be why we are seeing people even older then me taking up sky diving, round the world sailing, mountaineering and the like in their 70s and beyond. That with a longer health life.

He was fine. This guy, however, could have been swept out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a07zhQG12Jk

Lucky for him and his 5DIII, it's not salt water, so maybe the camera will survive.

He would have looked a bigger fool if he were on a first date,LOL!

. . . he was . . . if you look very very VERY closely at the wave to his left . . .

dd

There was a young lady there taking cell phone snaps but I don't think they were together. I have stills of her having the good sense to run when a wave came at her that I didn't upload. Probably should have. 

I understand what you're getting at, Lynn. I was not yet old when this incident in Brazil happened (I mentioned film). If you want to know what sillinesses I've been up to more recently you could scan down a few blogs to Heading South on the No. 6

I don't begin my day with thoughts about how I might get into trouble, but life happens. I've been a combat photographer (no, I don't tell war stories and I'm not an adrenaline junkie). I've also covered riots, notably the one in Paris in 1968 that eventually brought down the government. I don't consider myself to be anymore brave than the average person when pushed (I see this Brazil story being about fear and foolhardiness), and my ex-wife once said to me, "You don't have a mean bone in your body." That's a label I wear with pride. 

Edo  :)

Archived