Is there a way to submit an old image for live news in extreme circumstances? For example say, a prominent building burns down, there is not one image of this building on Alamy but I happen to have a copy from 2 years ago on my hard drive. There is a possibility that a news agency out there would be interested in a pre fire image to illustrate the story. Given the prices of images lately and the cost of petrol and the fact it may not sell, it is not worth driving to the place to get a photo of the embers. Would you submit and explain in the description or contact MS or both or neither?

Regards

Paul

I would be careful. If you submit the photo to live news and it is deemed to be "not newsworthy," it will be sent to the regular QC queue where it will be subjected to the same scrutiny as regular stock photos. If it subsequently fails QC, you will probably have to sit around for at least a month waiting to hear about it. During that time, you also won't be able to upload and new stock images. This happened to me last year. So no more live news for me unless Alamy changes this inconsistent policy.

Definitely contact news@alamy.com. If the file creation date is older than 48 hours it will be rejected, either by the server or news team. During Hurricane Sandy our power was shut off for five days so I was unable to upload. Once power and Internet was restored i uploaded via the newsfeef but all of my photos that were more than 48 hours old were bumped down to Reportage and had to wait for the system to update before they became available.

Hi Paul, 

I thought about this recently when I saw a race horse owner accused of doping horses and I remembered I snapped him at Newmarket 2 years ago. I decided to upload the normal route. 

I have found my 'news' shots have a shelf life as well as the occasional sale from Live News. I sold a picture of Sarah Miles, actor, on 24th April that I uploaded on Live News 24th March. I guess it takes a month or so to show. I sold on 9th May a picture of students at an education demo outside Millbank, Tory HQ, that I shot  29th January 2011. I sold on Friday a shot from the London Marathon from 2 years ago. 

So, archive "live" news then. 

Regards, 

Adrian. 

Archived