Android to iPod to Stockimo?

I've read all the posts on iPhones, iPads etc and it seems that I can also upload photos taken on an Android phone to Stockimo through an iPod. I was given a 4th Generation (??) iPod by my son recently so thought I'd give it a go with my 8MB Android phone.

It's a slow process - the iWhatevers don't seem to be very user friendly to me and I've spend all afternoon trying to upload a photo to the iPod with little success, but I guess if I keep at it I'll get there in the end. It seems there's no such thing as a simple drag and drop - or if there is I haven't found it yet.

My questions are when I looked at the original Android photos they're only 72ppi, is this OK to upload or should I adjust it in Photoshop? Are the iPhone photos a higher resolution? After looking at photos which are above 25MB for years at 100% they look quite pixelated.

After spending all afternoon and getting nowhere I don't want to waste any more time if the Android doesn't produce a suitable quality photo.

Thanks in advance for any answers

How large are your Android files? How are you transferring them?

Most iOS apps have a setting for file size. You should check to be sure you're saving them as large as possible. Others have mentioned that files are sometimes "optimized" or shrunk during transfer. I've found the best way to transfer photos between devices is to either email them to myself, or use a stand alone transfer app.

fD

Hi Carole,

The best way we have found to transfer photos between Android, iThing and PC is Photo Transfer App. It's a cheap paid app for Android and iOS, free for Windows and OSX. As you've found, drag and drop doesn't work to iDevices.

Don't worry about the 72dpi, that affects the file as much as the filename does - it's just a label. Just make sure your phone is saving the full 8MP file as fotoDogue says.

Colin

The Android files are the full 8MP with setting on superfine (largest possible) so they may be optimised in transfer. I'll try all suggestions and forget about the 72ppi. I guess the best way to learn is to upload (when I get the transfer bit organised) and see if they pass!

Many thanks for your replies

Carole

Don't mean to be a stuck in the mud but Alamy might have issue with this. They realised a few months ago that some stockimo shots weren't taken on iPhones and asked that they be removed. I'd be careful with it cause the exif data will always say that it was taken on an android phone and could mean it gets deleted. 

Don't mean to be a stuck in the mud but Alamy might have issue with this. They realised a few months ago that some stockimo shots weren't taken on iPhones and asked that they be removed. I'd be careful with it cause the exif data will always say that it was taken on an android phone and could mean it gets deleted.

Not so. I have Android, but recently got an iPad Air. I did a search and found a thread where Alamy weighed in with the information that it is fine to use Android images, uploaded through an Apple device. They want phone images, period.

What they don't want is people cheating by uploading images from DSLRs.

Betty

Not so. I have Android, but recently got an iPad Air. I did a search and found a thread where Alamy weighed in with the information that it is fine to use Android images, uploaded through an Apple device. They want phone images, period.

Betty

Do you have a link to that post ?  I have a 41mp Nokia Lumia 920 and it wrankles me that I can't use it for stockimo.  Perhaps I can. 

... I was given a 4th Generation (??) iPod by my son recently so thought I'd give it a go with my 8MB Android phone ...

Have you tried to install the stockimo app on the the iPod ?  The apps requires ios 7 or later.  An older iPod may not be able to support ios 7.  I have that problem on my old iPad.  Apple blocks it from downloading apps even if it could run them.  

Betty

Do you have a link to that post ?  I have a 41mp Nokia Lumia 920 and it wrankles me that I can't use it for stockimo.  Perhaps I can. 

You can use that phone (any phone AFAIK) for stockimo captures, just need to upload via an i-device.

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/2130-ipad-application-for-newsworthy-images/?hl=%2Bstockimo+%2Bupload#entry37851

See Alamy's confirmation Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:23 PM of AlexH's post

Betty

You can use that phone (any phone AFAIK) for stockimo captures, just need to upload via an i-device.

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/2130-ipad-application-for-newsworthy-images/?hl=%2Bstockimo+%2Bupload#entry37851

See Alamy's confirmation Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:23 PM of AlexH's post

Thanks, Geoff. I was getting ready to hunt for that post, but you beat me to it.

That's why I said 'might' I wasn't sure about their position. If that was made clear at the start, I'd not have bought an iphone and just used my ipad to upload from my android. *slaps forehead*

Lol, Paul. If I had known that sooner, I would have bought my iPad sooner. My Android takes better pictures than the iPhone I had. Plus an extra 5mp over iPhone's size.

Doh!!!  I didn't want the faff of going phone to ipad or ipod  to Alamy, so haven't bothered..... it's just occurred to me while reading this though -  why not just take the pic with the ipod? 

Duh-uh. 

:huh:

Doh!!!  I didn't want the faff of going phone to ipad or ipod  to Alamy, so haven't bothered..... it's just occurred to me while reading this though -  why not just take the pic with the ipod? 

Duh-uh. 

I'm guessing that like me a lot of people already have a wealth of images taken on their Android phones that have a chance of earning some dosh - a transfer through an iPad to enable upload could just be the answer they have been waiting for.

Duh-uh. 

I'm guessing that like me a lot of people already have a wealth of images taken on their Android phones that have a chance of earning some dosh - a transfer through an iPad to enable upload could just be the answer they have been waiting for.

Yes, the duh-uh was for me for not realising that I could use the ipod - not for the folk who already have the images on android.  My android phone is great - as a phone. I'm not so impressed with the camera on it, but then I deliberately bought it for the smart phone bits and bobs and not for the camera.

I might try taking more pics with my ipod though.  

Lastrega - I've checked and the 4th gen iPod, which is what I have, only has a 0.7MP camera, the 5th gen iPod has a 5MP camera so the photos from mine would be too small. They don't look too good even on the iPod.

Clupica - I haven't tried to download the Stockimo app yet, maybe I'll try that first as the iOS on the iPod is 6.1, and I'm not sure if that will update either.

If none of this works I'll have to convince my son to get rid of his new iPad :rolleyes:

I downloaded the App and put a toe in the water with one image. Very easy on my iPad. I emailed the photo, then saved. It went to my pictures section on the iPad, then from the App, it was east to do. Much better than folks complaining about doing it on a small phone.

Lastrega - I've checked and the 4th gen iPod, which is what I have, only has a 0.7MP camera, the 5th gen iPod has a 5MP camera so the photos from mine would be too small. They don't look too good even on the iPod.

Thanks Carole - I think I'd better just stick to getting my 'normal' images uploaded for now.....  it's interesting to see a lot of the Stockimo ones though, some exciting stuff on there.

... I was given a 4th Generation (??) iPod by my son recently so thought I'd give it a go with my 8MB Android phone ...

Have you tried to install the stockimo app on the the iPod ?  The apps requires ios 7 or later.  An older iPod may not be able to support ios 7.  I have that problem on my old iPad.  Apple blocks it from downloading apps even if it could run them.  

I'm really glad I tried this before I spent too much more time on it. I emailed a photo to the iPod as suggested Betty - easy! Worked like a charm, then thought I'd better see if the Stockimo app would download and sure enough, it wouldn't because I need iOS 7 and my iPod doesn't support iOS 7.

Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for all the tips, I'll hold them till I can afford to upgrade to something better - or till Alamy comes out with Stockimo Android. 

Carole

Archived