Asking Alamy to make everything RF

It appears that many clients want RF instead of RM so I am thinking about asking alamy to change all of my images to RF - do you think I would earn more money in RF? Apparently the future is in RF?

Not sure of the implications, from what i understand,  images that have already been licensed as RM may not be change to RF by Alamy,  if they indeed change them at all,  also i believe that RF licensing cannot be changed to RM,  therefore if you change to RF your images will always remain as RF.

Earning more with RF, i would think it is pretty even over the whole spectrum,  the good side of RM is you should have a little more control compared to RF.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Paul.

For your images to be sold as RF you would need to obtain model releases for each one where people appear and property releases for those which feature private property, commercial logos etc. A quick flick through your portfolio suggests this would be impracticable or near impossible for some of your existing images. If you want to sell as RF the best bet is to shoot with this in mind for future, rather than seeking to convert your existing portfolio wholesale.

As to whether RF is the future, I would suggest RF is not always the best type of licence for editorial shots and RM is likely to be more appropriate in such cases. However, if you see yourself as more the creative image type then RF may be better, though even here some clients will prefer RM. 

In addition to having mainly editorial port, I have whatever possible RM here since clients can already find so much RF on micros.

Whether I end up earning more by selling RM or losing more by not having RF for clients, I doubt I'll ever know.

- Ann

Not sure of the implications, from what i understand,  images that have already been licensed as RM may not be change to RF by Alamy,  if they indeed change them at all,  also i believe that RF licensing cannot be changed to RM,  therefore if you change to RF your images will always remain as RF.

Earning more with RF, i would think it is pretty even over the whole spectrum,  the good side of RM is you should have a little more control compared to RF.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Paul.

There's no reason why you cannot change either way as long as you are not conflicting with any existing licenses - basically any licenses which restrict or are exclusive. If Alamy won't do it directly, you can just do it via deletion/re-submission.

As for the OP, RF is part of the present/future but only a part and not the solution to taking the wrong images. Clients want work they can use and use appropriately for their circumstances. The rise of RF is partly based on no image management, that means no image management costs for the user. For that reason non-image professionals have come into the buyer side and non-purchase costs have become a consideration in buying patterns. So yes, RF does now appeal to many buyers but equally so does high-end RM.

However, pass the parcel with licensing is a side issue in stock - providing imagery that clients, who are served up with an excess of imagery, would want to use is the real question....and answer.

It appears that many clients want RF instead of RM so I am thinking about asking alamy to change all of my images to RF - do you think I would earn more money in RF? Apparently the future is in RF?

What makes you think this? To make your images RF you need model and property release where appropriate. My experience, such as it is, is that there is little difference in selling prices.

dov

"It appears that many clients want RF instead of RM..."

In my experience, textbook and retail book publishers, plus decently paying magazines still want RM images.

Also keep in mind that most Alamy RM (and even some RF) sales are now really RM/RF hybrids. This seems to be the future, on Alamy at least.

. . . providing imagery that clients . . . would want to use is the real question....and answer.

Boom tish!!!

Geoff's simple statement should be stuck to the beginning of every thread that seeks to blame anything other than the actual images we choose to take for lack of sales . . . imo of course.

dd

Archived