News FTP upload enabled

My current workflow is I upload to my Photoshelter site, then I FTP from there.  It works rather quickly and rather well.

When I don't do that, I use FireFTP (free plugin from Mozilla Firefox).  Just be sure when you log in, you select the correct folder whether it be News or Entertainment or Sport.  Once the upload is complete, it will take about 5 minutes for your images to appear in the Live News Feed on the website.

Do you have to apply for FTP privileges? I'd like to try FTP-ing from my PhotoShelter website as well.

Edit: Just realized that you are probably talking about uploading to the live news feed. Correct? If so, I have those privileges. I'm interested in uploading stock images via FTP.

They didn't provide any details. My Alamy just says ftp news upload enabled. I think the link appeared this morning.

I just found my e-mail from Alamy granting news access from 2010.

It informs about the host, my user name (the e-mail address), and a password. Seems from this you will need a specific password.

I don't know whether this has changed since - I use the normal upload route from the Alamy site.

It looks as if I just have regular (no FTP) live news upload privileges, but I don't upload much news anyway. As mentioned, though, I would love to be able to FTP regular stock images from my PhotoShelter site. Maybe one day...

They didn't provide any details. My Alamy just says ftp news upload enabled. I think the link appeared this morning.

II would contact member services after checking your junk email folder.  Niels has a similar email to mine which details an ftp site and a specific password.

I have just checked and found that I too have news FTP enabled.    I have not yet found any e-mail informing me of password etc.

I would be interested to know from anyone who uses it what speed advantages it gives.

I am usually working fom home these days, and had BT Infiniti high speed broadband installed a few months ago.   Using the normal upload route, images now upload in about 3-5 seconds each, so no useful time savings to be made there.   

Before I got the high speed connection, upload times were about 3 minutes per image, a situation I coud well get again if working away from home.

With that low speed connection, what improvement would FTP give?

I would be interested to know from anyone who uses it what speed advantages it gives.

much quicker, more robust and far more reliable in the field on slower connections

km

Thanks, that is what I expected.   I will apply when I am able to travel more than at present.

Archived