I'm faced with a multiple location shoot (cities, no remote locations) and am looking for a portable storage/back-up device that means I can transfer raw files from my Canon via CF. I don't use a laptop and the iPad will be too small and slow.

Some years ago there were numerous solutions including Canon's Media Storage 30 and 80GB models and I've heard about the Jobo viewers but am wondering what others here use nowadays?

Many thanks,

Richard.

I don't use RAW, but isn't 80GB only a couple of thousand images- not a huge number?

I see an M30 up on ebay for £100.

30GB of CF is about £30 now.

I haven't used an image tank since flash cards went above 4GB.

Depending on which Canon you have I would take a look at the Epson 7000.

I've had mine for some years now and it really is quick and very good.

I use one of these http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/HDU2-000.html

I have the 750MB version but they are available up to 1TB, not particularly cheap but they have done me fine when overseas and shooting wildlife and needed to store 1000's of images.

They take CF and SD cards, are rechargeable and have a small viewing screen. The body is pretty small, about the size of a compact camera.

When I am carrying it, usually because I need to upload news, I save it all on a small laptop and also keep it on cards until I get home (or back to my motorhome/hotel)  frequently the same day. I am thinking of getting a very light laptop (1.06kg - not a lot more than a tablet) with a small SSD and using large USB 3.0 flash drives as my backup - 64Gb typically (~2,000 raw images) and robust. I would use a pocket full of them if I needed to store more. I copy it off the laptop/flashdrive/portable HD to my main system as soon as I can and then clear the portable storage down before the next job/expedition. With my Fuji kit it will all fit in small a messenger bag or backpack.

I couldn't get by with just a tablet. Apart from doing some writing, I can keyword in the middle of the day while the light is too harsh or the weather is inclement and of course in the evening back at my accommodation while it is all fresh in my mind;  if necessary I can go back and check missing details. A good use of dead time (might still have a coffee, beer or glass of wine to hand) but best of all it gets that keywording chore out of the way!

Thank you for all those responses!

I know about the Epson, ReeRay and have been looking at the Hyperdrive, Steve - all of which sort of suit me so will look further. Buying 2nd hand would be a bit risky as you don't know how the device has been handled - oh, and I phoned around the London rentals and they don't lend that sort of gear out, for the same reason. The M30 sounds good but in the small print, it states the Mac OS is only up to 10.4 - unless that's old news and there's updates to be had.

I've played with uploading via the iPad to Dropbox but the uploading will take so blimmin' long that I'm not sure I'll have the time to sit and watch them go. But the one worrying issue is that it's actually quite easy to delete the files off your card - trust me, I did it twice with my experimental snaps and that was when I was supposedly concentrating (there's a Delete All button that deletes off the iPad and the card if still connected). Doing so in a public space would be even easier!

Rgds,

Richard.

Like Steve above, I have a portable combined card reader and HDD. If backup is all you want, it's fine although I have found mine a bit flaky. It's a NextoDi - the 1TB version of this. The 1TB version is currently unavailable on Amazon perhaps because others have found it flaky too.

But even if it worked as it was supposed to, if I had to buy something today, I'd go the laptop route USB/FW external drive and separate card reader. 

Archived