STOCKIMO - some thoughts and questions....

Doc

Hi all,

Having had a broken Nokia 3w ago I invested in an iPhone and started uploading to Stockimo - I now have nearly 100 accepted images, 

On the plus side I have found it really stimulating to try and produce more creative images than the usual Alamy stuff I upload, and the image manipulation software is easily available, cheap and very user-friendly. I am looking at trying to find the equivalent to help do similar things with a few of my Canon 5D images and wonderedc if anyone knew of similar software that could be used (or is it just Photoshop CC and use of the filters?)

However Stockimo seems to produce more questions than answers - for example

Why are some images rejected whereas other very similar ones are accepted - mainly those including people and recognisable places?  It makes it difficult to know what is required and I end up by sending images which are then rejected (I would say I have a rate of about 70/30 accepted/rejected)

Many of the image manipulation filters add a border - they often make the image look more instantly attractive, but if as is hoped these images may be sold, esp. for advertising, should one remove the borders or leave them in? What do others do, and what software do others use -?

I have noted that many image manipulation filters introduce softening or blurring of parts of the image and though these can make the overall effect more attractive, they have been rejected. Have others noticed this?

On searching, anyone know how the images in the search results are ordered? It does not seem to be by date uploaded, nor by image score, nor by Alamy rank. 

Our daily stats dont seem to include Stockimo images - are Alamy going to introduce a separate section for data for STOCKIMO images, as I think this is a good stimulus for us who are producing the images?

How much, if any, do people use the digital zoom on the iPhone - I dont use it at all, but tend to submit square images as I quite like them! - they are 2448x2448, but I note some images on sale are smaller than that - is there a limit, or is it simply based on how the images look? I think the older iPhones prob produce a slightly smaller image?

Has anyone actually sold a STOCKIMO image who is willing to admit to it??

Looking forawrd to your thoughts

Cheers

Kumar

"Has anyone actually sold a STOCKIMO image who is willing to admit to it??"

I hear you, Kumar.  :) 

As to the rest of your post, my guess is that Alamy is still working out the ways and means as they go. I wish you and Alamy good luck, but I will not be going down this path. 

"Why are some images rejected whereas other very similar ones are accepted - mainly those including people and recognisable places?  It makes it difficult to know what is required and I end up by sending images which are then rejected (I would say I have a rate of about 70/30 accepted/rejected)"

I was told my rejected ones were too editorial in nature despite some similars being accepted.

"Our daily stats dont seem to include Stockimo images - are Alamy going to introduce a separate section for data for STOCKIMO images, as I think this is a good stimulus for us who are producing the images?"

Alamy have already answered that Stockimo is a different part of the business so won't add a forum on here for it. I'm assuming it's the same reasoning for the stats.

Your experience is similar to mine, Kumar.

I've now just reached the 100 mark & out of interest I calculated my average rating which came out at 2.9 - not including rejects in the calculation !

My rejects have tended to be editorial in nature eg well known buildings.

I haven't particularly noticed rejections for 'blur,' I've found the 'tilt shift' filter in 'snapseed' & the 'DoF' filter in 'camera+' quite good on this. If I like the border, I tend to leave it at that.

I don't use the digital zoom, but use the 'ipro' lens kit - which offers macro, wide angle & 2x zoom. I also like the square format.

I've found 'distressed FX' good for creative effects, 'snapseed' good generally, with 'alayer' & 'mextures' also useful, however, there's so many out there, so I am only getting to know a few for now.

So, see how it goes....

ann

Has anyone actually sold a STOCKIMO image who is willing to admit to it??

Just put one on the Images Found thread from today's Metro - first one I've seen.

Steve

I am looking at trying to find the equivalent to help do similar things with a few of my Canon 5D images and wondered if anyone knew of similar software that could be used (or is it just Photoshop CC and use of the filters?)

Photoshop Elements version 12 added 'fx' with ten filters and ten textures. But after using Camera+ you will be very disappointed in them. 

Why are some images rejected whereas other very similar ones are accepted...  It makes it difficult to know what is required and I end up by sending images which are then rejected

That's what the editors in edited collections are for. Does Stockimo have editors to discuss edit results with?

GI

Why are some images rejected whereas other very similar ones are accepted...  It makes it difficult to know what is required and I end up by sending images which are then rejected

That's what the editors in edited collections are for. Does Stockimo have editors to discuss edit results with?

GI

The next version of Stockimo will have rejection reasons.

I have about 80+ images but still trying finding my way as to what works (ie accepted). I upload mobile images to a couple of other agencies as well, sometimes through their mobile application but also through general processes.. After being sceptical of iphone photography, i have become hooked. I love it precisely for its "in the moment" aesthetics. And of course the old adage applies: the best camera is the one with you. And a lot of the time i don't want to go about daily routine with a canon around my neck.

Although no sales on Alamy/Stockimo (yet), mobile images definitely do sell and what sells is sometimes surprising. I have had one pretty ordinary image of a streetscape in an old european city sell 4x now in a couple of months. I nearly didn't upload it - badly blown out highlights, filtered to an inch of its life, but there you have it! I wonder if i lucked it with a topical street or building.

To the extent i have any feel for what to submit, i would say that stockimo seem to want more creative images with more obvious filtering, blur, etc. in contrast, the same images at another agency get rejected, but they take the unfiltered version. My more restrained edited photos on stockimo tend not to rate as highly. Sometimes i have "rescued" hopeless images (blur, bad light, etc) with some creative filtering.

Be careful what you wish for with rejection reasons. In my view, the stockimo collection is deliberately subjective and the reasons (unless it is an error in answering the questions) may not be helpful. some agencies just wind up giving a shopping list of possible reasons: over/under filtering, blur, not "unique" enough, etc. it may as well just say "not our thing".

Re software: i have recently discovered and absolutely love VSCOcam - they give a really subtle analog type feel to images without the harshness of Instagram. Those sceptical about the artistic or technical merits of iphoneography should check out the curated VSCO Grid. Beautiful images from really creative people. I have to say, though, stockimo seem to like my vscocam images less than i do, but they work well with other agencies. I also use snapseed a lot, and sometimes filterstorm for cloning and very specific edits . I shoot with camera+

I also don't use apple's photostream. My understanding is that while it uploads full image, the downstream photostream version is compressed. I back up through camera uploads in dropbox, and then if i need the image again, i use Unbound. I seem to wind up with multiples in dropbox after editing in various programs, and can't figure out how to minimise those, but just clean out later.

Phew, didn't mean to write a treatise! And all on the ipad so please excuse typos.

Oh, and for canon images: i use Lightroom with VSCO's lightroom presets, expensive but lovely. Nik/Google plug-ins for lightroom or photoshop. You might want to check out "pretty presets" for Lightroom too. Haven't been game to submit "normal" images edited too much with these (ie not game to try instagramish looking DSLR images), but i am very knew to Alamy proper, so staying very conservative for now.

Thanks all for your comments - I have been using mainly Photo-toaster app to make changes to the basic image - easy, quick and intuitive to use - like Ann I leave the border in if I particularly like it...

Now have 127 stockimo images and counting..Certainly no sales to my knowledge but its quite stimulating as completely different to the more usual editorial Alamy images..

Kumar

127 photos already, that is impressive Doc. You must be cut out of the same mold as Jeff Greenberg. I now have 67. I tried your Snapseed App but I haven't used it very much. I have only submitted one photo where I used the Snapseed HDR filter which suddenly made a basket of organic yellow cherries pop. The HDR filter made the fruit round as if they were going to roll right out of the photo. Scored a 3.3. 

S03PNJ.jpg

From what I've read, we only learn about Stockimo sales after funds are received and Stockimo is ready to pay. (Or when Lisa is kind enough to post them ;) )

Screen shots in the itunes App Store show a column at the top titled "What's Selling" but I don't see this on my iPhone. Maybe it appears once they're ready to pay you too?

• 1 month later...

OK, I am really - REALLY - new at this iPhone & Stockimo stuff.  One question I have is about protocol vis-a-vis retaining accepted images: must they stay resident on my iPhone?  If they are not on the Cameraroll, they disappear from the Stockimo app - right?

I've been having trouble uploading images from my iPhone to my (Windows XP) computer; freezes, blank images, etc.  Out of the terror of losing anything, including my Stockimo images, everything I've ever shot, and haven't deleted, is on my iPhone.  I will get them onto my Dropbox account, as someone noted above, but I want to be sure of the answers to those questions first.  (Yes, I've Googled the issue; many techie answers to pursue but I just want perserve what I have, first!

Thank you for your patience, all.

must they stay resident on my iPhone?  If they are not on the Cameraroll, they disappear from the Stockimo app - right?

No, once you submit (upload) your images to Stockimo you no longer need them on your iPhone. 

I've been having trouble uploading images from my iPhone to my (Windows XP) computer; freezes, blank images, etc.  Out of the terror of losing anything, including my Stockimo images, everything I've ever shot, and haven't deleted, is on my iPhone.  I will get them onto my Dropbox account, as someone noted above, but I want to be sure of the answers to those questions first.  (Yes, I've Googled the issue; many techie answers to pursue but I just want perserve what I have, first!

I'm on Mac, but my workflow is (and I presume it could be the same with a Windows pc): I connect the iPhone via usb to my computer and then use the Import function of Lightroom, the same way I do with my digital camera. That way, I keep my images organized in my Lightroom catalogues, and it is easy to back-up. After importing to Lightroom, I delete from iPhone. It works for me and I find it simple. 

Thank you, Alexandra!  This is the golden key: "No, once you submit (upload) your images to Stockimo you no longer need them on your iPhone."

I don't have Lightroom on my computer; still using Bridge.  But there are various ways of importing the images so all should be good now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only submitted and had accepted 12 images but so far only one of them has included a person.  The subjects I've submitted are all over the map with no clear image style emerging. Heavily processed, vibrant colors, almost graphical images seem to be well received.  To date my average score is 2.95 with my lowest at 2.3 and highest a 4.0.  The real question is will any of them sell?

Archived