Odd sale notation

Hi all,

Here's a strange notation on a recent sale - ($29,00 HufPo special!). Never seen that before. So was this a single placement, or did Alamy give away this sale to be spammed all over the internet?

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Placement: Single Placement
Image Size: up to full area
Start: 01 April 2013
End: 01 April 2016
Rights granted are as per the License Agreement, which supercedes rights granted on invoice: WW 10 yrs, Multiple Placement

I had 2 Monday morning and the license agreement could do with some translation.

one of the images had been licensed in March under the following,

Image Size: up to 1/4 screen
Start: 01 February 2013
End: 01 February 2014

Does the new license mean that they can use it for 10 years for $29?

Regards

Craig

I had 2 Monday morning and the license agreement could do with some translation.

Regards

Craig

Looks like a one year license to me.

Regards

Craig

sorry should have made this clearer. The new license was the same as snappy's, the one I am showing in my post is the previous terms

that the same image was used for.

Regards

Craig

Hi all,

Here's a strange notation on a recent sale - ($29,00 HufPo special!). Never seen that before. So was this a single placement, or did Alamy give away this sale to be spammed all over the internet?

Rights granted are as per the License Agreement, which supercedes rights granted on invoice: WW 10 yrs, Multiple Placement

I had four of these $29 specials pop up yesterday. The "multiple placement" designation probably means that the HuffPo (I assume) can use these images on several different pages of their own websites only.

At least these sales come in batches and aren't distributor sales. They usually clear quite quickly as well, I find.

Regards

Craig

sorry should have made this clearer. The new license was the same as snappy's, the one I am showing in my post is the previous terms

that the same image was used for.

Regards

Craig

In that case, it looks like a ten-year lease.

I had a similiar $29 special this morning. And I agree, it's that last bit that is confusing.

I have had a few of these as well- Ten years, multiple placements...

RM looks more and more like RF. Prices look more and more like micro. But that's all been said before... head down, back to keywording. Focus on other outlets. Send Alamy 'seconds' which will not command higer prices elsewhere...

-Jason

I have had a few of these as well- Ten years, multiple placements...

RM looks more and more like RF. Prices look more and more like micro. But that's all been said before... head down, back to keywording. Focus on other outlets. Send Alamy 'seconds' which will not command higer prices elsewhere...

-Jason

Yes, these are definitely "hybrid" sales. Traditional RM is going the way of the Dodo by the looks of it.

I had a similar license show up a month ago and e-mailed member services who just sent me a reply today.  Here's the response-

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

These sales are part of a deal we have with a large editorial website.  Although the Additional details state that this is a 10 year license it is very unlikely that the customer will use the image in the same article more than once, they just want to be covered for all eventualities.  In reality the license is for single editorial usage and due to it being online it goes without saying it is listed as worldwide.

Due to the nature of the volume and the frequency of images being licensed we have had to find a median between flexible licence and accurate reporting. We realise the additional details aren’t particularly explanatory for these sales and so we will be updating this for future invoices.

I wish there was a restriction option for RM based on dollar amounts of license.

Start: 01 March 2013
End: 01 March 2016
"Rights granted are as per the License Agreement, which supercedes rights granted on invoice: WW 10 yrs, Multiple Placement"

I've had a couple of interesting ones this month:

'Print/e-book/web/all manner of media/custom/derivative works/international student version/life of the product family edition.'

and

'book, talking book, cheap pulp novel, illustrated book, encyclopaedia, travel guide, map, atlas, content part, back cover'

"All manner of media"?   "Cheap pulp novel / talking book / encyclopedia"? 

What does the back cover of a talking book look like?

Thanks Phil for posting the examples above.  We have passed this information on to our Billing team to get a more accurate description future licenses.

Archived