Viewpoint keywords

I've just had a search which included '[WP] [PH] [Front]'.  I was fortunate in that one of my images cropped for this search by chance, as I had used the word 'front' in the caption for other purposes.

I've clearly been a little slow here: do the keywords for the Viewpoint filter (i.e. Front, Side, Rear, Profile), have to be included when relevant?  I'm guessing that the answer is of course, yes, but I had never considered this to be of much importance before.

Do others get many searches using the drilldown for Viewpoint?

I'm in the same boat, but I can't see myself going back and adding viewpoint keywords to all my images.

Since Alamy's search engine  has a viewpoint filter, it would be helpful if there were boxes we could click for Front, Side, etc. when we are managing our images. It would make things a lot easier IMO. I know of another agency that does this.

Update: Didn't mean to steal the show, but I decided to ask a question about this topic in the Alamy section.

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/1936-viewpoint-filter/

I include "from above" quite often in my captions and keywords if photos were taken from a high viewpoint such as a lookout or tall building. Not sure if this has ever resulted in a sale, though. I also use "aerial" sometimes, even if the image wasn't a true aerial taken from an aircraft but looks as if it might have been.

Thanks for your input, folks.  I'm going to try to remember to add Viewpoint in future images.

What do you think of the "check-able buttons" (in Manage Images) idea that I suggested? Wouldn't that help matters?

100% agree, John: not sure, but I believe I said so in another thread?  I'm with you all the way on that - but it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for your input, folks.  I'm going to try to remember to add Viewpoint in future images.

What do you think of the "check-able buttons" (in Manage Images) idea that I suggested? Wouldn't that help matters?

100% agree, John: not sure, but I believe I said so in another thread?  I'm with you all the way on that - but it ain't gonna happen.

You're probably correct. But it's odd that Alamy would have a viewpoint filter and not give contributors a convenient way of taking advantage of it. Seems a bit counterproductive all around IMO. Hopefully, this can be fixed without too much trouble.

But it's odd that Alamy would have a viewpoint filter and not give contributors a convenient way of taking advantage of it. Seems a bit counterproductive all around IMO. Hopefully, this can be fixed without too much trouble.

Put it them KWs. There's already enough checkboxes, copying/pasting, and extra typing and clicking to do when submitting to uploading. Alamy should be focusing on streamlining this process rather than adding to it.

With most other agencies, my work is mostly finished when the files leave my computer- I like it that way!

-Jason

But it's odd that Alamy would have a viewpoint filter and not give contributors a convenient way of taking advantage of it. Seems a bit counterproductive all around IMO. Hopefully, this can be fixed without too much trouble.

Put it them KWs. There's already enough checkboxes, copying/pasting, and extra typing and clicking to do when submitting to uploading. Alamy should be focusing on streamlining this process rather than adding to it.

With most other agencies, my work is mostly finished when the files leave my computer- I like it that way!

-Jason

I know of at least one other agency that that has clickable boxes for viewpoint. Personally, I think that adding them to "Manage Images" would actually streamline the process (as you suggest) and ensure that the viewpoint filter is available to buyers. As it is, the search results for viewpoint are pretty hit-and-miss.

Also, when you include a descriptor such as "front" in a search, the majority of images that currently come up seem to have the phrase "in front of" in the caption rather than showing the front view of a subject (i.e. the viewpoint). This situation could conceivably be remedied with click boxes that properly tag images with an actual viewpoint rather than depending on vague keyword combinations.

Archived