alamy trends email

Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

Question

9 answers to this question

Jeff, I think there's a lot more to it than that - including lighting and shooting styles, the way the models were directed, and how contemporary the messages of the photos are. Certainly, those numbers shouldn't surprise you! I don't understand what you don't understand. 

Posted (edited)

Brian, I assume that what Jeff noted is that we have been told that the trend is for unposed authenticity with normal people rather than directed models - and the Alamy selection appears to contradict that.

It doesn't surprise me because it is hardly unusual for agencies to say one thing and mean another.😁

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

In all the years that I have been looking for Alamy images in U.S. publications, I have never once found one that looked like a model posing or pretending.  All have been real people doing real things or of real places or things.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

There is a certain brand that has recently embraced the "new AI look" photos approach throughout their campaigns and shopfronts, and it just looks ridiculously fake and unprofessional. It's a red flag for what some businesses think they should do to attract customers... 

3 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

There is a certain brand that has recently embraced the "new AI look" photos approach throughout their campaigns and shopfronts, and it just looks ridiculously fake and unprofessional. It's a red flag for what some businesses think they should do to attract customers... 

As photographers we're more likely to notice that AI "difference".   I've noted it in TV/internet/streaming video adverts.  

Whats important for "brands" is if consumers notice it and how they react to the use of AI being used for marketing to them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

In all the years that I have been looking for Alamy images in U.S. publications, I have never once found one that looked like a model posing or pretending.  All have been real people doing real things or of real places or things.

Michael:

I agree. Overwhelmingly, the vast majority of stock photos I spot out in the wild are of models acting out classic lifestyle scenes shot in fresh and on-trend ways, but none are ever from Alamy. Alamy has cultivated a contributor base with a passion for those "real places or things" and for better or worse, it's how we Alamy contributors see ourselves.

In the distant past, I did more than 400 lifestyle stock shoots and am still living on the money they generated. I would love to start shooting them again, but for the life of me, can't see how they could turn a profit. For me, the trends are little more than a wish list. Without solid information on actual revenue potential, there's no way to justify the investment.

• Love 2
  • Like 1