Digital camera not suitable for Alamy

In the 'sunsetting' post they finished off by saying "We’re hopeful we can migrate the Stockimo community onto an alternative Alamy environment" so I guess they're still thinking about it, I'm glad I'm not having to think about it as a day job, fraught with difficulties. That statement could be interpreted as an entirely separate site I suppose.

To persist with this point that I already mentioned -  how Alamy's management and decision-making is so much different now compared to what we had become used to.

On the forum people comment as though 'Alamy said this' or' Alamy said that'. In the old days that basically meant that is what James West said and we expected it to happen. 

Now it is a more complex organisation. As such it would not be unusual to have different people/departments moving in different directions and not really having the overall picture of what is actually happening or about to happen next. Overall strategic decisions will now be being made at Board level and their criteria will be very different from the previous regime. 

One example will do. We were assured that there were no plans to change the commission. I'm sure that was said in complete honesty. Nevertheless a few months later the commission changed. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Very detailed review of the Xiaomi here https://www.dxomark.com/xiaomi-14-ultra-camera-test/

Thnaks, mate.

DXOMARK top ranked: https://www.dxomark.com/smartphones/Huawei/Pura-70-Ultra

how big is its sensor?

don't know if that brand allowed-sold in USA...

32 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

how big is its sensor?

Huawei appear to quote 3 cameras on rear, one of which has 1” sensor.

50 MP Ultra Lighting Pop-out Camera (1-inch CMOS, F1.6~F4.0 aperture, Sensor Shift OIS) 

40 MP Ultra-Wide Angle Camera (F2.2 aperture)

50 MP Ultra Lighting Macro Telephoto Camera (F2.1 aperture, OIS)

Mark

12 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Thnaks, mate.

how big is its sensor?

don't know if that brand allowed-sold in USA...

Huawei doesn't appear to be allowed to be sold in the US and it takes a hack to get the Google store to upload programs to it.   I switched to Samsung at that point, though the year model of Huawei I had still could access the Google Play Store without problems.  Next year's model couldn't from what I read.   Xiaomi can, and is pretty popular here in Nicaragua. 

On 18/06/2024 at 04:58, Mark Scheuern said:

Apple iPhones are made in China, but they're also paying for US management and probably political contributions on top of the manufacturing cost of the phones.  China has signed free trade agreements with a number of countries.   Daniel Ortega said recently of China that the Chinese don't come in shooting (at least not with guns).  Electronic duties here were quite steep until recently.  China wants high end coffee and other agricultural products, maybe gold if the US puts the squeeze on the Canadian companies who currently hold the mining concessions. 

I'm waiting to see what Chinese cameras look like.  I've had the Chinese Godox flashes and studio lights.   May have to see what AliBaba has on offer if none of the local Chinese stores import cameras (two in Jinotega, getting a third one). 

When I got my first Japanese made camera, there were people who remembered when "Made in Japan" meant junk. 

7 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I'm waiting to see what Chinese cameras look like.  I've had the Chinese Godox flashes and studio lights.   May have to see what AliBaba has on offer if none of the local Chinese stores import cameras (two in Jinotega, getting a third one). 

When I got my first Japanese made camera, there were people who remembered when "Made in Japan" meant junk. 

There some pretty decent lenses coming out of China. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gervais Montacute said:

China is in some trouble atm. Bond market looking very shaky. Same with Japan.

Every medium sized town here now has at least one new Chinese store.   Various of us have seen Chinese at Migracion getting residency in numbers we hadn't see earlier.

Most popular truck here is Japanese -- the Hilux.  US-made trucks and cars are extremely scarce.  I see more Indian-made trucks than anything except used school buses that were made in the US.   But the Chinese have also sent a number of new buses (air-conditioned according to my brother who took one from Managua to Jinotega last November), better looking than the Russian buses.

Chinatown is a great movie and Jack Nicholson is a great actor. However, my favourite Jack Nicholson movie is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Speaking of cuckoos .......

Edited by MDM

4 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Every medium sized town here now has at least one new Chinese store.   Various of us have seen Chinese at Migracion getting residency in numbers we hadn't see earlier.

Most popular truck here is Japanese -- the Hilux.  US-made trucks and cars are extremely scarce.  I see more Indian-made trucks than anything except used school buses that were made in the US.   But the Chinese have also sent a number of new buses (air-conditioned according to my brother who took one from Managua to Jinotega last November), better looking than the Russian buses.

Wow, I'm really veering off-topic here. When I first went to Nicaragua in 1998, there were a lot of funky looking Soviet era (I assume) buses like this one in Managua. Didn't see any on my last visit in 2010:

colorful-old-public-bus-on-a-street-in-managua-nicaragua-AMGH4R.jpg

Edited by John Mitchell

My recent submissions were all rejected by Alamy for "soft or lacking definition." Oddly and quite confusing for me was that two other agencies that I contribute to accepted all of them. Some images were taken with my iPhone 15 Pro Max and the some with my Nikon cameras (two models). I contacted Alamy directly because it felt as though some sort of AI autobot was performing the Quality Control of submitted images. Here is what the response was:

"We check your images zoomed in at 100%, which means one screen pixel = one image pixel (1:1) and if you’re not doing this then you’re not seeing every pixel, or checking your images to the same level we do. 

Our QC Team consists of a team of people and we do not use any automated system or AI to assess images.

We check a sample of your submission and if all images in that sample are ok then we’ll pass the whole submission. If we find one failure, then all images awaiting QC will fail. We take the view that every image you submit should meet our QC standards so when we look at a random sample, we expect it to represent the quality of all images submitted. It is your responsibility to check each image is a high enough quality to submit before you upload.

Unfortunately, we can't enter into a follow up discussion about this, as on reviewing the content a second time, we stand by our decision which is at our discretion and final."

My take is that if you submit a large number of images, no matter what camera or iPhone was used (yes, they have accepted some of my iPhone images in the recent past), that if just one image is not up to their "QC standard" then all of your images will be rejected. So, my path going forward will be to submit smaller lots of images since I am unaware of specifically which image in the larger batch might be rejected but may in fact meet their QC standard.